Help with tree ID..shaggy bark

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sportbikerider78

Minister of Fire
Jun 23, 2014
Saratoga, NY
No leaves or splits to show off,,but if you can ID and its good wood, I can show splits as early as next weekend. :)

Very shaggy bark,,that is why I'm curious what it is.

Thanks!

20160420_190517.jpg
20160420_190501.jpg
20160420_190533.jpg

It's better than oak and maple, nice score

I wonder if this is in the same family as a shag bark hickory?

Here it goes like weeds, but thats the biggest ive ever seen. Serious btus in that weed.

bob

Ive NEVER seen hornbeam that large. Could be hickory or silver maple tho.

Every shagbark hickory I've seen is basically straight up like a telephone pole with branches off the main trunk. I assumed it's ironwood but possible to be silver maple.

That is without a doubt, hop hornbeam. The growth pattern also gives it away if the bark wasn't so obvious. That's a big one too. Most of the ones in my woods don't get much over 4-6" diameter before they die. One of the best firewood species in the northeast USA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ironwood.....and that's the biggest I've ever seen! Burns like coal!

Nice. I'm going to admire for another week and split it up. It is tucked away in the woods and I'll never know if it is there or gone.

Thoughts on drying time?

Thanks guys.

Sweeps rates ironwood #2 only behind Osage. I've never seen one, cool looking tree

Every shagbark hickory I've seen is basically straight up like a telephone pole with branches off the main trunk. I assumed it's ironwood but possible to be silver maple.
X2 Just cut one down - straight as an arrow.

bob

Iron Wood for sure very hot and lasts a long time
We have them that big and bigger here . I only take
them after they die. Make sure you have a very sharp chain
and a strong back. The one in the picture is an old tree very
slow growing. Takes about as long to dry as Sugar Maple

Reactions: baseroom
It's great firewood, but given any other options, I'd leave it standing especially since it looks healthy and is the largest tree in the shot. If you cut it down, take branches much smaller than you normally would.

Status
Not open for further replies.