Help with wood burning fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

breena92

Oct 20, 2017
Northwest Indiana
My husband and I recently bought a new home with a wood burning fireplace in the basement. We noticed when we used it a very small amount of smoke would seep out the top so we called a local fireplace and chimney company to take a look. They told us the fireplace not only cannot be used but it is a fire hazard because the flue does not go straight out the top instead there is a metal pipe that connects the fireplace to the flue at a 90 degree angle. They also told us there is absolutely no way to fix it other than to turn it into a potbelly stove. I need help the fireplace is half the reason we bought the house and I refuse to believe there's nothing that can be done. Here is a picture of what the inside looks like with the metal piece being the fireplace and the brick being the flue.

Attachments

• IMG_2860.JPG
    IMG_2860.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 194
It looks like a prefab fireplace hackjob installation. He was probably suggesting to replace it with a wood stove, assuming that the chimney is suitable to take a stove flue or run an SS liner up the existing chimney. One of my requirements while looking for a home was a descent masonry fireplace. I had the benefit of working for masons for a number of years so I knew what to look for.

Looking at the other photos it looks like it is possibly a heatilator type unit which should have been built into a masonry chimney.

Yes, looks like a heatform style box, but very improperly installed. Was the house inspected before purchase?

The fireplace shop is telling you the truth. It is very unsafe. One option is to tear out the whole thing and then build a nice hearth in front of the chimney, then install a freestanding stove with a good fire view.

Last edited:
Reactions: WoodyIsGoody
We did have an inspector look at the house befor purchase but he just looked at the front of the fireplace- those side views were covered with paneling which he did not open up to look at.

I guess that's understandable. It is amazing that someone went to all that work without getting the basics even close to correct.

are there any options other than a free standing stove I'm just not very fond of that look or is there any way to diguise the free standing stove so it just looks like a wood burning fire place?

The rules for a fireplace installation are fairly strict both for safety and for proper operation. There is a remote chance of installing something like this option, depending on the chimney interior dimensions. BIS shows this option for some of their fireplaces. These are sold under the Lennox and now Astria brand. However, if this is the old furnace chimney it's inside dimensions may not be large enough for a proper install.

This is a BIS Traditions and their Ultima fireplace.
http://astria.us.com/products/montecito-estate
http://astria.us.com/products/brentwood

This is how the fireplace would be tied into the chimney if the chimney could work.
Screen Shot 2017-10-20 at 5.56.00 PM.png

are there any options other than a free standing stove I'm just not very fond of that look or is there any way to diguise the free standing stove so it just looks like a wood burning fire place?

How much do you have to spend? This is the only type of "fireplace" I would consider:

http://renaissancefireplaces.com/en/rumford-1500-woodburning-fireplace#mc

Free standing woodstoves can provide an amazing fire view and come in a huge range of styles. If you knew just what a practical way they are to bring the fire indoors and provide some wood warmth you might find the look more appealing than you do now.