Help with wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sodbuster

Minister of Fire
Sep 22, 2012
Michigan
My neighbor dropped off a load of wood for me that the local power company took down. It had some pine in it, which is OK, I'll use it for shoulder season next year. The other I'm not sure about, end grain makes it look like a hard wood, but I'd like a better handle on what it is, so I can adjust where to put it in my stacks for seasoning. Thanks!

Wood ID1.jpg Wood ID2.jpg

Hmmm, not sure because I don't process much of it, but it could be Pine. I'd put it in a stack with some of the lower output stuff that you have. Is it pretty light in weight, considering that it is fresh, wet wood?
Can you crack one open so we can see the split-wood face?

Looks like silver maple to me. I think I see opposite branching twigs on one log.

Split a piece today, and it smells like Oak, so I think I have my answer, unless something can mimic Oak.
Hmmm, not sure because I don't process much of it, but it could be Pine. I'd put it in a stack with some of the lower output stuff that you have. Is it pretty light in weight, considering that it is fresh, wet wood?
Can you crack one open so we can see the split-wood face?
Looks and smells like Oak when I split it.

20230326_145527.jpg

looks like oak from red oak group, perhaps shingle oak, northern pin oak ?

Split a piece today, and it smells like Oak, so I think I have my answer, unless something can mimic Oak.

Looks and smells like Oak when I split it.

View attachment 311443
Silly me. Looking at the first endgrain pic, I can now see the medullary rays. OK, then, instead of the low-output stack, put it in the "dry for three years" stack. 😏
But I've never seen bark like that on any Oak here. But most Oak I get has the bark and sapwood falling off. Haven't got Pin in our woods, but have seen it nearby...including a 72" stump. _g

Split definitely looks like oak.

That leaf will give you a clue as to its variety.

View attachment 311604
Or this Maple leaf will. 😉 Actually, the one next to it, and the one you zoomed in on, both look like Pin Oak, with the deep sinuses between the lobes.
Doesn't appear to be Shingle Oak bark..I've seen them here and in fact there's one 20' in back of the house. I see no Shingle Oak leaves either..they are totally different than others in the Red Oak group.

Reactions: TomMcDonald