Henley multi fuel not giving out any heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Nf1993

Sep 29, 2022
Wales
Hi all, new to the forum and looking for some advice.

I had a Henley Cambridge 5kW installed in 2018, I haven’t been living in the property as it’s been rented and stove barely used. I have recently moved back in and used the stove for the past couple of weeks. The issue is I’m finding it’s barely heating the room at all?

I’ve recently bought a load of seasoned hardwood and have checked myself with a moisture meter it’s all about 16% moisture content and seems to burn perfectly.

The fire lights fine and seems to burn very well when alight. After roughly 15 mins the stove is too hot to touch but the room doesn’t seem to heat up it does take the edge off but not sufficient enough to not use the central heating. Even when stood infront of the stove it doesn’t seem overly hot compared to others I’ve seen where the room gets seriously toastie and almost to hot to stand in-front of.

It was installed with a flu liner and cap but no damper. I’ve tried all combinations of vents, door open door closed etc…. But still no change. The house is double glazed, no draughtinesses and heats fast and holds heat when the central heating is on. The room is 6mx5mx2.5m. I lit the stove yesterday at 14:00 and the front room stayed between 12-15 degrees until I went to bed at 22:00.

I’m wondering if the heat is rising and going straight up the flu rather that in to the room? I live fairly high up on top of a valley it’s quite open to the elements and wind, I can hear it in the fireplace when the fire is not lit and it’s windy outside. Would this cause a draw and take the heat out of the fire?

Any advice would be appreciated.

E5CF4179-6DDC-42C5-A027-8C972AFDB138.jpeg

Was a block-off plate installed in the fireplace's damper area? Or is it open to the top cap of the chimney?

Yes a blockoff plate seals around the liner and the area above the stove.

I have a blower fan on the firebox floor behind my stove blowing up. It really help move the heat out into the room. A fan pointed into one side of the fireplace worked well too.

Reactions: Nf1993
Yes a blockoff plate seals around the liner and the area above the stove.

I have a blower fan on the firebox floor behind my stove blowing up. It really help move the heat out into the room. A fan pointed into one side of the fireplace worked well too.
Yes a block off plate has been installed.

I looked at a fan, but would of thought a roaring fire would give off enough heat without a small fan? It’s barely worth lighting as have to use the central heating when it’s burning.

Yes a block off plate has been installed.

I looked at a fan, but would of thought a roaring fire would give off enough heat without a small fan? It’s barely worth lighting as have to use the central heating when it’s burning.
Radiant stoves that sit back in the fireplace need convective help. I run my fan 80% if the time. Any time I need to pick the stove hard I have the fan on high.

Another thing to consider is a need to run my stove a minimum of 12 hours to heat the masonry once that happens I get much more heat into the room.

Radiant stoves that sit back in the fireplace need convective help. I run my fan 80% if the time. Any time I need to pick the stove hard I have the fan on high.

Another thing to consider is a need to run my stove a minimum of 12 hours to heat the masonry once that happens I get much more heat into the room.

Thanks for this info it makes sense. When the stove was installed it was boarded out with a metal block off plate above and some kind of fire boards on the side and back walls. Do you notice much more heat in the room with the fan running as have heard mixed reviews? Being recessed it does make sense to push the warm air in to the room rather than the recessed area.

What fan do you use? I guess it would be situated at the top behind the stove?

Thanks for this info it makes sense. When the stove was installed it was boarded out with a metal block off plate above and some kind of fire boards on the side and back walls. Do you notice much more heat in the room with the fan running as have heard mixed reviews? Being recessed it does make sense to push the warm air in to the room rather than the recessed area.

What fan do you use? I guess it would be situated at the top behind the stove?
Now I use this on the firebox floor behind stove blowing up.

It drops the stove top temps by 80F on medium

AC Infinity AIRBLAZE T12, Universal Fireplace Blower Fan Kit 12" with Temperature and Speed Controller, for Lennox, Hearth Glo, Majestic, Rotom https://a.co/d/hKZYkbj

A small table fan can be placed on the floor to the front side of the stove, blowing cool room air at an angle toward the back of the fireplace. That will help circulate the heat.

Reactions: EbS-P
How hot is the stove getting? Hot to the touch could be the temperature of a shower or bath. The stove can easily run 4 times that.