Here We Go Again

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
Major butt kicking headed my way. Actually gonna be worse the farther south we are. Raining now, to turn to sleet and freezing rain and an estimated foot of heavy snow, we always get more than estimated, tomorrow starting before sunup and 4 degrees tomorrow night.

Why do I keep thinking of Chief Dan George in The Outlaw Josie Wales? "Get ready little lady. Hell is coming to breakfast."

Jeez, you must be sick of this winter. What an ordeal for so much of the country.

Yeah. And for a brief moment today it got up to sixty around two pm. Sixty today with snow still on the ground in spots and then down to four degrees tomorrow night is beyond words.

Thirty years here and this one beats the ones in the nineties by a long shot.

Yeah I originally heard it was supposed to go more north and give us 12" but now they say it's staying down south so maybe 2-4" or even less. Guess you'll get most of it. We are getting 10 F overnight tomorrow, again.

Skirted us to the south. 12 to 18 down to 1 to 3. No where to put it anyway. Here's my 8 foot high deck.

P1010050.JPG

P1010082.JPG Yes, it's really 8 feet high.

We've got about an inch of sleet on the ground now, and we're looking at 3-5" of sleet/snow total. There's a biting north wind and they've forecast single digits Mon. night.
Jeez, you must be sick of this winter. What an ordeal for so much of the country.
Yeah, guys like me and Bart aren't used to this crap....average temps here for this time of year are 50s/30s. I feel like I've moved back to WI. But even for folks that normally deal with cold and snow, the severity of this winter is something else again. Even though we are getting pummeled here, I still feel fortunate after reading what some are enduring. As usual, the ice is mostly south of us in KY and the big snow went north. KY schools were closed for almost three weeks a while back; Those poor kids will be making up school almost 'til July. <>

I'm pretty familiar with BrotherBart's "normal" weather, as I lived just a few miles from him for 12 years. Never saw anything even approaching this winter there. Rick

Major butt kicking headed my way. Actually gonna be worse the farther south we are. "

Been in the bullseye all winter. You gotta get mean. Plumb mad dog mean

Our accumulation has been downgraded to 2". They were forecasting 14" just a few days back. ;lol

This will be the only storm this winter where we get less than the early forecast accumulation. Most of this year it's been forecast 3" - 6", then we get 10" - 14".

Still got 8" on most of the lawn, but the 8' tall pile at the end of my driveway is now down to maybe 3' high.

BrotherBart....I lived just a few miles from him for 12 years.
Can you tell us why you moved just about as far away from him as you could get? ;) ;lol

This will be the only storm this winter where we get less than the early forecast accumulation.
See? Things are looking up! ;hm

Reactions: BrotherBart
Can you tell us why you moved just about as far away from him as you could get? ;) ;lol;hm

I didn't know him then. I met him on Hearth.com after I was already in Oregon. We moved because Fairfax Virginia is a miserable place to be retired. Actually, I found it pretty miserable even before I retired. :rolleyes:

Reactions: BrotherBart
Hope that all the damage that can be done has already happened and that this passes quickly. Enough's enough, time for spring.

We've got 1" overnight, of the originally forecasted 8-12". My kids' school declared a snow day at 3PM yesterday. :confused:

Reactions: Ashful
Luckily, this one went south of us......all week long it was all the talk of another storm.....glad this one missed, tore up my Shoulder shoveling out the school last time around. From what I've heard, those who were in the path, are getting hit pretty good......stay safe freinds

Yep. It is a mess. Base of ice and snowing like crazy with temps sliding down, down, down. In like a lion as it were.

Just clouds with the sun trying to break here this morning. Stay safe down there.

If the farmers almanac is correct March could be hell also with multiple storms this month

MARCH
IN LIKE A LION
OUT LIKE A LAMB

We all hope

This one slid south of us. We barely got a dusting, but that didn't stop the schools from taking the opportunity to open 2 hours late.

If the farmers almanac is correct March could be hell also with multiple storms this month
That's what I fear, the dreaded one-two punch winter. Cold is one thing but tons of snow wears out its welcome with me mighty quick. Or ice....ice sucks for us because we're out in the sticks, the frozen, icy sticks that fall on the power lines. :oops:
MARCH IN LIKE A LION
OUT LIKE A LAMB We all hope
Doesn't that mostly apply to normal years? <>

-20::F this morning. Saturday we didn't even get above 0. Add the 20+ mph wind to the temps and it is bone chilling. Talked to my mom in N WI and she heard that due to the lake being frozen so hard that Summer may not be coming this this year. I remember many years that the snow pile obtained from plowing the city streets still existed into July.

but at least today was NEGATIVE 17 on the way to work.

Now, now enough of that warming up nonsense!

We still need a solid 4 weeks of -30 if we are to get those pipelines fixed & the oil flowing. Three cheers for a butt ugly cold as…..March that comes in like a lion & just gets nasty & mean after that. ;)

I know, you are sick & tired of it by now & trust me if we didn't need it to fix those pipelines we would all be wishing you a winter like So Fl or So Cal, as it would be nice & warm here too.

As it stands were hoping for the March I described above (says he who is currently thawing out frozen watering bowls for the livestock after a few nights of -45 wind chill fun.)

Back in 10, after I pour more hot water on frozen pipes.:mad:

5F here tonight, then a gradual warming trend, starting tomorrow. 50 by Saturday and the weather models say that temps will at least remain stable.
Stove is getting shut down Thursday, same day that the last of this season's wood is burned.

Even though the winter here is winding down, I have a feeling that spring will be slow to warm.
Those nasty Redwinged Blackbirds showed up this weekend, so maybe they know different.
This year, I'm really looking forward to seeing the Redbuds bloom.

Status
Not open for further replies.