Hex nut locked into fan of distribution blower.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oldwolves

Feb 8, 2010
Westchester NY
Good morning all. I have a Harman P61A thats about 8 years old. The beast is making the devils own racket and I've determined that it's coming from the Distribution blower/fan blade. I replaced the fan blade three years ago and all was well. However the squeaking and squawking is back with a vengeance! lol.. Any way when I removed the blower I couldn't remove the fan blade. The hex nut was wedged in there solid. After a good ten minutes of pushing and pulling , the nut stripped and I can't get it out. Any Ideas? The motor seems to be fine. Thanks in advance.

A picture would really help, but in general your options are:

* first, soak with penetrating oil, such as WD-40
* vise grips on the shank of the nut, if there's enough room to grab it
* small chisel and hammer: cut into the edge of the nut and tap it around counterclockwise
* drilling out the stud the nut threads onto (only if that stud or bolt is replaceable)

-dan

Thanks guys, got it... I pulled the whole motor out. Then put my hex wrench in an icecube. I started heating the metal around it with my lighter. When it got hot to the touch i quickly slid my hex wrench in and pop! It became loose again. (Who would of thought all those HS science classes would have helped me forty years later?) That was the good news. Turns out it's the distribution blower motor after all. Anyone know a parts place that delivers overnight? This stove is my main heating source for the house...I called my local dealer and they said they'd have the parts and repair guy get right back to me. 2 hours ago. I could do the instillation myself but finding the part is tricky. The Harman website says to get in contact with the dealer. Thanks.

Thanks guys, got it... I pulled the whole motor out. Then put my hex wrench in an icecube. I started heating the metal around it with my lighter. When it got hot to the touch i quickly slid my hex wrench in and pop! It became loose again. (Who would of thought all those HS science classes would have helped me forty years later?) That was the good news. Turns out it's the distribution blower motor after all. Anyone know a parts place that delivers overnight? This stove is my main heating source for the house...I called my local dealer and they said they'd have the parts and repair guy get right back to me. 2 hours ago. I could do the instillation myself but finding the part is tricky. The Harman website says to get in contact with the dealer. Thanks.

Best Fire in Green Island may have one in stock. 518.687.2388..
You'll probably need your serial number...
If they do they'll ship it to you (for a fee of course)...

Best Fire in Green Island may have one in stock. 518.687.2388..
You'll probably need your serial number...
If they do they'll ship it to you (for a fee of course)...
Thanks Daksy... I took your advice and called them.... I'll be getting the part tomorrow by FED EX about noon. I appreciate yours and everyone's help. Good forum!

Reactions: DAKSY
Status
Not open for further replies.