Hey MSG, Thank you and a couple of questions...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TelePE

Oct 2, 2006
Salida, Co
First of all, Thank You for all of your input on the forum. We ordered a Hearthstone Homestead from our local dealer (Salida Stove and Spa) the beginning of October. Since then, this has been the place I have come to whenever I have had a question. It seems that someone else has had the same question and more often or not you have had an answer. Since I was replacing an existing cookstove (the Majestic) I did the installation of the Homestead myself (yes, I have more photos - I took pictures of everything from the building of the hearth on. I'll post them when I am finished with my install). Two inches of micor and durock and one stainless steel chiminey liner kit (not to mention an additional four feet on the chimney to improve the draft) later I have a 21st century stove and installation in a 19th century house.
Again, thanks for all you bring to the forum.

Quick question - do you burn any pinon? Here in southern Colorado we have access to it. Its reputation is that it creates a lot of creosote. We noticed this with our old cookstove but I'm wondering if it is as much of a problem with an efficient wood stove...

The big question has to do with Hearthstone. Our wood stove finally arrived in town last Friday. On Saturday our dealer brought it to the house and set it on the hearth for us. At this time we found out that Hearthstone delivered the wrong rear heat shields for the entire order (not just our stove). The dealer said that he had chewed them out and that the correct ones were on the way. Tuesday morning the dealer said that they had been shipped Tuesday, and tonight when I stopped off at the dealer I was told that they were shipped today. Does this sound like how Hearthstone is to deal with? I have had a couple of questions that I dealt directly with the company and found them to be fairly straight forward with me. Supposedly the Hearthstone Rep will be in town tomorrow, but I will probably be at work and not be able to meet with him.

As a bit of background, we were told that our Homestead would ship around November 20th. From then until it arrived (about Dec 8) our dealer was never able to tell us if it had shipped, or when it had shipped when it would arrive. We were told that once it got to Denver it took bout a week to get here (Salida). Does any of this correspond to your experience with Hearthstone? I am at the point that I do not know if I should believe our dealer or not. Working in a ski shop, I know what is like to be a small customer to a large corporate supplier in terms of the amount of attention you get.

Is it that hard to know where shipments from Hearthstone are and when they are due to arrive?

Since the Homestead is installed with the rear heat shield clearences, my dealertold me tonight to just burn small fires until the rear heat shield arrives. Since she isn't sure when that will be (she thinks maybe Friday but...) I proposed that the dealer might have something that I could use as a temporary rear heat shield until the Hearthstone one arrives. She was fairly cool to this suggestion. I went on that I was thinking that if they couldn't come up with anything that I would go to Murdock's or True Value and purchase a simple floor heat shield that I could rig up in vertically with an air space between it and the wall behind the stove. Since I have double wall stove pipe, the area above the stove meets all of the necessary clearances. I added that I would give her the heat shield after the Homestead one arrived and deduct the amount from my bill. Luckily I still owe her for all of the double wall stove pipe and the stainless steel liner kit so I have a little leverage.

That being said, all I want to do is fire up my Homestead to a temperature higher that 200 degrees.

I know that this has turned into a bit of a ramble, but at this point I am frustrated. As a first time customer of both Salida Stove and Spa and Hearthstone I do not know what to believe at this point...

On the brighter side, I love our new Homestead. Attached is a photo of our first fire. The stove is beautiful and the heat (what little we get!) wonderful.

Thank you for any input you can have on our situation.

Scott

Hearthstone Homestead almost installed...

Attachments

• First Fire Small.jpg
    First Fire Small.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 370
Hmmm....

Just got a phone call from Jim, the owner of Salida Stove and Spa. He is really mad at his Hearthstone rep and wants the rep to come up to my ski shop (12 miles away) to let me know that it is the company, not him, that is dropping the ball with our heat shields. He also offered a piece of durock to use as a temporary heat shield until the real one arrives.

This whole situation seems to a result of a lack of communication between the company and the dealer and me, the customer. I still don't know who to believe, but tomorrow should be interesting.

Thanks

Scott

Look on the bright side. The stove is getting a nice break-in. Sounds like you have a good dealer, one that is concerned about the problem and doing their best. Try the durock if a day or two is going be important.

PS: The stove looks great!

Thanks!

My main concern right now is that it takes 2-3 weeks for Hearthstone to get their stoves from Vermont to Salida (according to my dealer). I'm hoping that the heat shield is not coming through their regular shipping channels, but again, no one can tell me anything!

Hopefully I will know more tomorrow.

Scott

TelePE said:
First of all, Thank You for all of your input on the forum. We ordered a Hearthstone Homestead from our local dealer (Salida Stove and Spa) the beginning of October. Since then, this has been the place I have come to whenever I have had a question. It seems that someone else has had the same question and more often or not you have had an answer. Since I was replacing an existing cookstove (the Majestic) I did the installation of the Homestead myself (yes, I have more photos - I took pictures of everything from the building of the hearth on. I'll post them when I am finished with my install). Two inches of micor and durock and one stainless steel chiminey liner kit (not to mention an additional four feet on the chimney to improve the draft) later I have a 21st century stove and installation in a 19th century house.
Again, thanks for all you bring to the forum.

Quick question - do you burn any pinon? Here in southern Colorado we have access to it. Its reputation is that it creates a lot of creosote. We noticed this with our old cookstove but I'm wondering if it is as much of a problem with an efficient wood stove...

The big question has to do with Hearthstone. Our wood stove finally arrived in town last Friday. On Saturday our dealer brought it to the house and set it on the hearth for us. At this time we found out that Hearthstone delivered the wrong rear heat shields for the entire order (not just our stove). The dealer said that he had chewed them out and that the correct ones were on the way. Tuesday morning the dealer said that they had been shipped Tuesday, and tonight when I stopped off at the dealer I was told that they were shipped today. Does this sound like how Hearthstone is to deal with? I have had a couple of questions that I dealt directly with the company and found them to be fairly straight forward with me. Supposedly the Hearthstone Rep will be in town tomorrow, but I will probably be at work and not be able to meet with him.

As a bit of background, we were told that our Homestead would ship around November 20th. From then until it arrived (about Dec 8) our dealer was never able to tell us if it had shipped, or when it had shipped when it would arrive. We were told that once it got to Denver it took bout a week to get here (Salida). Does any of this correspond to your experience with Hearthstone? I am at the point that I do not know if I should believe our dealer or not. Working in a ski shop, I know what is like to be a small customer to a large corporate supplier in terms of the amount of attention you get.

Is it that hard to know where shipments from Hearthstone are and when they are due to arrive?

Since the Homestead is installed with the rear heat shield clearences, my dealertold me tonight to just burn small fires until the rear heat shield arrives. Since she isn't sure when that will be (she thinks maybe Friday but...) I proposed that the dealer might have something that I could use as a temporary rear heat shield until the Hearthstone one arrives. She was fairly cool to this suggestion. I went on that I was thinking that if they couldn't come up with anything that I would go to Murdock's or True Value and purchase a simple floor heat shield that I could rig up in vertically with an air space between it and the wall behind the stove. Since I have double wall stove pipe, the area above the stove meets all of the necessary clearances. I added that I would give her the heat shield after the Homestead one arrived and deduct the amount from my bill. Luckily I still owe her for all of the double wall stove pipe and the stainless steel liner kit so I have a little leverage.

That being said, all I want to do is fire up my Homestead to a temperature higher that 200 degrees.

I know that this has turned into a bit of a ramble, but at this point I am frustrated. As a first time customer of both Salida Stove and Spa and Hearthstone I do not know what to believe at this point...

On the brighter side, I love our new Homestead. Attached is a photo of our first fire. The stove is beautiful and the heat (what little we get!) wonderful.

Thank you for any input you can have on our situation.

Scott

Hearthstone Homestead almost installed...

Sorry for the late responce, i have been under the weather the last few days.
I dont burn any pinion, its not really avalible up in these parts.. we sell it at work to make outdoor firepits aromatic, it does seem smokey to me.
I imagine hearthstone got the order for the heatshields on tuesday, and didnt process the order untill wendsday or thursday, 48 hour processing time is the norm.
When we order hearthstone stoves, they come direct to our warehouse. We can easlily find out if it has left hearthstone, but rarely will we track the freight company. The only time that there is a question about getting product, or when its going ot ship, is when there out. There strait forward, they simply tell us that they dont knwo when there going to ship. If its in stock, it normally ships within 3 days from the factor, and usally arrives 5-8 days later ( all business days). Now sometimes if its a single stove, we will hold off on the order and wait for more stoves to be added to the order to save shipping costs.
It seems that hearthstone made a mistake with the heatshield, and it seems that your dealer made a mistake on when they were going to ship the correct one. So i think there is a bit of error on both the dealer and the manufacture. Nothing you have told me here seems way out of the ordinary, i would just wait for the heatshield, it should be here shortly.

Thanks MSG-

A bit of an error on both sides was how I was figuring it, by I couldn't be sure. The area Hearthstone rep called me today to apologize for the mix up - their growth has contributed to some warehouse issues. That being said, they are Fed Exing the heat shields to Salida and they should be here by the weekend. It'll be nice to get the stove temp higher that 200 degrees.
Thanks again for all of the information that you share on the forum. You made the construction of our hearth and the installation of our stove a very smooth process.
Hope you get better soon.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.