hey ya'll, gotta new old install here

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Woodcock

Oct 24, 2008
Vancouver BC
been checking this site out and found some good info. thought i wood register and see if i could get some direct advice.
so i got an old fisher papa bear i bought refurbished from a nice old man that restores these old smoke dragons as y'all like to call em a few years back. haven't had the funds and such to install it till now. i am removing an existing gas fireplace in a cathedral ceiling and want to use as much single wall as i can. i hear that i anything above 10 feet i have to use double wall so i was thinking if i can use 10 feet of single and the rest which is only 2 feet of double? possible?
also clearance of stove pipe to drywall is 21 inches is this sufficient? and thirdly clearance around the stove is 23 inches is this good? the old manual says 36" i believe but can i put tile or rock over the drywall around the stove? thanks , I'm freezing!

Let me be the first to say.....<Woodcock> TAKE A LAP LARD BUTT! </Woodcock>

My did had a papa bear he just took out. I'm not sure what 'code' says but his was double all the way up. I would follow the manual on clearances though because these stoves really throw the heat. No telling how many times I over fired that sucker, but it kept on warming. It's a tank. I'd probably feel better with double all the way. These stoves will literally run you out of the room after 30 min of getting the fire started. My parents used to have to leave the back door open just to heat the rest of the house because it got so hot. Good luck either way.

thanks for the response. ya i just saw the movie, haha , don't know why you would burn wood way down there? but i'm up north here in b.c. canada were they make these damn boxes! it's mild on the coast here but it gets cold and we get at least a couple good dumps of snow and i can see my breath right now as i type this! any and all info about putting tile over drywall etc in my post will be much appreciated as i need to get this thing in

Status
Not open for further replies.