Hi everyone! New member! Congrats for this forum!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Richard.Qc

Jan 13, 2017
Quebec,Canada
    • Salut a tous!! Im a french canadian so sorry if i make somes (or a lot lol) mistakes! So we bought a big house in november and last owner deleted chimney and stove (WTF). So i read a lot on chimney and stove. I found this awesome and incredible forum Hearth.com. I spent probaly too much time on here.
    • Im 29 yo and raised on a little dairy farm (and my dad still run it). One of my task at 8yo in winter was to start the LakeWood Beaver stove and feed it. My family always just use wood to heat and my two grand pa were two proven lumberjack. So i needed woodstove i hate heat with button. First house an 160yo farm house uninsulated drafty as a moutain top. The cooldown was pretty quick but with the big Drolet Patriot ll i can kept the house toasty. 77F inside 0F outside easily with far from perfect wood. (12inch split and probaly 15-30 % moist)
    • So since 23 november we own a 27ft x 84ft house build in the 80s. (Half of the basement is a two door garage at the ground lvl and unheated). The windows and the doors were changed in 2006. So i think the thermal insulatiion is pretty good except a the ceilling of the garage ( i plan to do it soon) I instaled and 21 ft s/s 6inch chimney( the draft is humongous maybe too much how know?) in the right center of the house with a brand new Osburn 2300 with the C-cast baffle and 3.4 cf firebox. ( Osburn factory isnt far from me i bought too support the local)
    • NOW ....... I know i made an incredible mistake to not choose a BKK and a 8 inch chimney. The osburn cannot heat the whole house. BKK probaly cannot too cuz too its too much wide but the longest burn time... aaah anyway. My set up is good, wood is in the garage and i take the wheelbarrow directly to the stove in the basement. The doors is very large its cool.

• Unfortunately the little osburn struggle to make it above 70F when its 5F outside. I think i pretty much know to well operate this non cat stove. I got coal to relite 12 hour later. The hotter and shorter fire are a little bit disappointing ... I find the firebox so insulate. With the old drolet and lakewood i always can put more heat lol. Anyway i like the osburn and probaly get him upstair and get a BK princess the soonest i can. ( Or an 3.4 Enerzone)Sorry for all my bullshit but i wanna share my experience with the osburn 2300 and maybe exchange with other owners... aah by the way i haverst all my wood and its 15-25% with a reed meter ( hard mapple,mapple, beech , birch ,aspen trembling ....)
  • Richard
  • 3F outside

Ha ha ha. Welcome. I have a Lakewood burning in my shop right now that I only took out of the house two years ago. It's the big 'elk double door' version and is a huge firebox. I heated my house with it for five years before switching to my pe summit last winter. So far things have been good for me, I havent been disappointed at all in heat output. -20c here might see -25 tonight. We are having a brutal winter out west.

My dad still run his lakewood beaver... He like it so much ... He can start the fire with just three big splits and paper becuz its a cigar burn style stove. -24C this morning its a pretty warm winter to this date but a lot snow. My house is too big for one little stove .. Damn..