Hickory ID?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Brian26

Minister of Fire
Sep 20, 2013
Branford, CT
Just got a cord delivered and my wood guy says its Hickory? Can anyone confirm and if so what type? Thanks.

Attachments

• Hickory ID?
    20171125_144158.jpeg
    207.5 KB · Views: 340
  • Hickory ID?
    20171125_161742.jpeg
    131.3 KB · Views: 335
Most of that looks like the hickory that I have cut/split. I am by no means an expert so take it with a grain of salt.

Looks like hickory to me with lots of white oak mixed in. There are several types of hickory and for heating purposes they are all the same. Now bbq is a different story.

That stuff should burn great in a couple years.;)

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
looks like hickory...I don't see any White Oak...

I believe it's hickory as well. Stack it off the ground and keep it top covered if you are seasoning or storing it for more than a year. Hickory rots quickly if left exposed to moisture all the time.

Reactions: Soundchasm
It's hickory alright. There is a shagbark hickory also. Great wood. I really like giving hickory 2 or 3 years. Sunny, windy location.

I see hickory and white oak as well.

Last edited:
I can't tell. Doesn't look like shagbark hickory, but any of them will burn well.

I see some white oak along with hickory too.

Hickory looks like Shagbark.

Got another cord dropped today. The seller said it was a mix of hickory and white oak. I stacked it today and am going to give it at least 2 years to dry out. Thanks guys.

The bark doesn't look like bitternut or pignut. One thing that hickory seems to do is when you peel off a splinter, it doesn't snap right off. It's more like pulling velcro apart if that makes any sense. And it feels slightly springy when you do it.

Split it quick and keep it off the ground at all costs or kiss it goodbye. ;)

The bark doesn't look like bitternut or pignut. One thing that hickory seems to do is when you peel off a splinter, it doesn't snap right off. It's more like pulling velcro apart if that makes any sense. And it feels slightly springy when you do it.

Split it quick and keep it off the ground at all costs or kiss it goodbye. ;)

Ditto, I’ve had to dispose of a some hickory before due to my negligence in getting it proper ly css in reasonable timeframe. Sad situation.

Reactions: Soundchasm