High pitched sound

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

LynnM

Jan 13, 2022
New Hampshire
I have a brand new Harman P43. I understand that the fans and auger motor make noise, but the distribution fan has a secondary sound aside from the normal whirring of a fan. It is an intense high pitched should; my daughter likened it to alien space communication like you might hear in a science fiction movie. LOL That's pretty much an apt description. It really bothers my tinnitus as it is at the same pitch and it can be really uncomfortable to be in the same room as the stove--which is a huge problem as the stove is in my living room. :(

I just want to know if this sound is "normal" or if there is a problem with this fan. The tech has to return to complete installation of the outside air kit and I want to know if I should ask him to replace the distribution blower as well or if I already have to consider selling this stove. I am really disappointed in Harman. I've already had the combustion blower replaced (right out of box). So much for "quality."

Sorry about you disappointment with Harman, I had my auger motor replaced shortly after install under warranty for being noisy..
Yes I would definitely bring it to their attention. Does the high pitch sound change as the motor ramps up or down ??

When I think of alien communication sounds, I think of the sound of the pellets falling into the pot. Especially over my WiFi camera.

I’ve also had bad motor bearings make an intermittent high pitched chirp. I wouldn’t think a new stove would do this but you already had to replace one motor.

Reactions: LynnM
Within 2 weeks of installation, my Absolute 63 developed a rotational clunking sound from one of the distribution blowers. Diagnosed as a bad bearing. Replaced under warranty. Not the same sound you are hearing, but another example that parts can be bad right from the factory. I'm guessing most of the motors and fans in these USA made pellet stoves are sourced offshore.

Reactions: LynnM
I have a brand new Harman P43. I understand that the fans and auger motor make noise, but the distribution fan has a secondary sound aside from the normal whirring of a fan. It is an intense high pitched should; my daughter likened it to alien space communication like you might hear in a science fiction movie. LOL That's pretty much an apt description. It really bothers my tinnitus as it is at the same pitch and it can be really uncomfortable to be in the same room as the stove--which is a huge problem as the stove is in my living room. :(

I just want to know if this sound is "normal" or if there is a problem with this fan. The tech has to return to complete installation of the outside air kit and I want to know if I should ask him to replace the distribution blower as well or if I already have to consider selling this stove. I am really disappointed in Harman. I've already had the combustion blower replaced (right out of box). So much for "quality."
Yes bring it to the tech's attention. That noise is NOT normal and don't let the tech say it is or that it'll probably go away.
Unfortunately over the last 2 years the quality of a lot of things has fallen and Harman doesn't make the motors. I have a 10 year old P43 and it's been great, still has original everything.

sam

Reactions: LynnM and Mt Bob
Sorry about you disappointment with Harman, I had my auger motor replaced shortly after install under warranty for being noisy..
Yes I would definitely bring it to their attention. Does the high pitch sound change as the motor ramps up or down ??
No, it's constant. It's louder since I cleaned the stove. My dealer is ignoring me (I've reached out 3 times in the past week), and I haven't even finished paying for the stove yet. Wonder what kind of service I'd get if I had? (Insert sarcasm)

Yes bring it to the tech's attention. That noise is NOT normal and don't let the tech say it is or that it'll probably go away.
Unfortunately over the last 2 years the quality of a lot of things has fallen and Harman doesn't make the motors. I have a 10 year old P43 and it's been great, still has original everything.

sam
I would Sam, if I could get the dealer to respond to me. My hands are tied until they do.

Reactions: Mt Bob
There is a thread on here somewhere with a similar noise. It was the combustion fan slightly rubbing on the piece that you take off to access it from the inside.
Find a set of allen wrenches mine is metric, I want to say 2.5 or 3 mm looses the set screw and maybe push it back a hair or bring it forward if it looks like it is maybe rubbing the back. Once you take that piece out behind the ash pan you should be able to spin the fan and feel it is it rubbing..

Any news on this ?