High RPM chainsaws

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a new Stihl 441 with a 28 inch bar. It is a real big saw for me.

Any advice?

relic said:

Any advice?
nice saw! wouldnt do anything to it! break it in and have fun. Wear ppe

smokinj said:
relic said:

Any advice?
nice saw! wouldnt do anything to it! break it in and have fun. Wear ppe

I have the helmet with non plastic mask (with a screen and poly carbonate glasses) and ear muffs, Husqy chain saw gloves, steel toed boots, and a pair of chain saw pants.

Is that enough or should I have a jacket?

I respect the power of this saw. For me, it's like holding on to a 350 Chev, after using a little 18 inch Husqy 51 for so long.

Bigg_Redd said:
relic said:

Any advice?

1) get a skip tooth chain.

2) become a proficient hand filer

3) skip tooth chain.

The hand filer thing is something the store recommended. I guess I'll have to do that.

But what's this about the skip tooth chain?

I bought extra full chisel chains. I'll go back and get the skip tooth if that's what I should have.

relic said:
Bigg_Redd said:
relic said:

Any advice?

3) skip tooth chain.

The hand filer thing is something the store recommended. I guess I'll have to do that.

I bought extra full chisel chains. I'll go back and get the skip tooth if that's what I should have.
being a 28 in. on a 441 it probably is a skip chain

smokinj said:
relic said:
Bigg_Redd said:
relic said:

Any advice?

3) skip tooth chain.

being a 28 in. on a 441 it probably is a skip chain

Ok, I'm going to use it this aft.

I'll let you know.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

I think it's a full chisel.

I see the value in learning to file. Thanks for the tip.

I'll watch the video and give it a go.

If I'm reading this right, on a 28" bar and with a full chisel, it will take a long time to sharpen, correct?

That saw is awesome. It went through some big stuff like it was butter.

relic said:

If I'm reading this right, on a 28" bar and with a full chisel, it will take a long time to sharpen, correct?

if a 441 with a 28 in. bar is cutting like butter than your running a full chisel skip chain (maybe even safty chain) it is what the dealer would put on there it helps give the saw more rpm's to get through the wood quicker. the 441 or 460 wouldnt pull a non ship chain very well. It comes in full skip and semi skip. 28 in. and up most use full skip.

smokinj said:
relic said:

if a 441 with a 28 in. bar is cutting like butter than your running a full chisel skip chain (maybe even safty chain) it is what the dealer would put on there it helps give the saw more rpm's to get through the wood quicker. the 441 or 460 wouldnt pull a non ship chain very well. It comes in full skip and semi skip. 28 in. and up most use full skip.

What you're saying makes perfect sense. How do I recognise which chain it is?

The box says Oilomatic3. Then on the opening flap, stamped with a rubber stamp, not printed, it says "33RSC 91E".

I'm going to the dealer's today for a proper Stihl file. It's clear that I have to learn this skill.

I hope it is a semi, because there was some dirt on some of the logs.

relic said:
smokinj said:
relic said:

What you're saying makes perfect sense. How do I recognise which chain it is?

The box says Oilomatic3. Then on the opening flap, stamped with a rubber stamp, not printed, it says "33RSC 91E".

I'm going to the dealer's today for a proper Stihl file. It's clear that I have to learn this skill.

I hope it is a semi, because there was some dirt on some of the logs.

OILOMATIC® STIHL RAPID™ Super Comfort (RSC) not sure what the super comfort all about sure it has to do with the new anti-vibe thing the 91 stands for the drive lenths in the chain and thats what iam running and its a full skip. I run the OILOMATIC® STIHL RAPID™ Super (RS). sounds like your set for smooth cutting!

80's Vintage Huskies and Stihl's were typically 11,600 to 12,600 RPM saws.

The new Stihl, Dolmar, and Huskies are rev limited at 14,500 I believe.

As long as you use high quality Synthetic oil and tune the saw properly I believe you'll be fine.

The link titles each product Oilomatic.

What's an Oilomatic3?

relic said:

What's an Oilomatic3?
the 3 is for anti-kick back the c for comfort

smokinj said:
relic said:

What's an Oilomatic3?

So for comfort, speed and safety, I couldn't do a lot better is what I'm hearing.

relic said:
smokinj said:
relic said:

What's an Oilomatic3?

So for comfort, speed and safety, I couldn't do a lot better is what I'm hearing.

just depends what you are doing but yes comfort speed and safety are the 3 ingredients for that chain.There are alot of combo's you can chose from like RS just 2 letters its ingredients are speed speed and speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.