High temp anti seize grease?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ylomnstr

Feeling the Heat
May 28, 2008
Staatsburg, NY
I need to lube up my St. Croix Versa Grate, and just wondering what you guys use to lube it up and where can I buy it? Thanks.

Attachments

• 02908a[1].jpg
    02908a[1].jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 608
Just remember it doesnt take a lot of that stuff, and its like roofing tar, once you get it on you, you can spread one drop all over the place for the next three weeks.

Jester said:
Just remember it doesnt take a lot of that stuff, and its like roofing tar, once you get it on you, you can spread one drop all over the place for the next three weeks.

Yep, take it from a couple of racers....a little goes a long way, and a lot can be a BIG MESS!! :lol:

Thanks guys. So that stuff will help possibly if it sounds as if the motor is getting a bit loud? And if I use this stuff once a year, will I have to clean the motor before I reapply next year? Or will this basically wear off after a while?

macman said:
Jester said:

Yep, take it from a couple of racers....a little goes a long way, and a lot can be a BIG MESS!! :lol:

That's why they call it never seez, you get it on you or your clothes and you never seez it go away.

Panhandler said:
That's why they call it never seez, you get it on you or your clothes and you never seez it go away.

That is SO true.....But it is GREAT stuff!

ylomnstr said:
Thanks guys. So that stuff will help possibly if it sounds as if the motor is getting a bit loud? And if I use this stuff once a year, will I have to clean the motor before I reapply next year? Or will this basically wear off after a while?

I'm not sure about motors....probably want to just use a good quality oil, as per manufactures rec. The anti seize is mainly used in applications that involve parts that slide or turn, and the copper is good in heat applications.

EDIT: BTW, it does NOT wear away.....once you put it on something, it may get dirty or full of dust, but it will NOT go away....LOL

You'll see the versa-grate eccentric in the center, rear of the stove... at the end of a motor shaft. Just put a small dab on the shiny eccentric... I use the silver stuff but the copper is just as good.

Driz said:
I have been using the silver stuff forever. So whats better about the copper type anyways? I am always on the lookout for new goodies to make things easier.

Copper is best in high temp appplications. Silver will gum up or dry out in high temp applications. When silver gums up be prepared to clean the stud with gas or paint thiiner before reassembling.

So I haven't picked up this stuff yet, although my local shop has it. I'm still concerned that this stuff is more of an anti seize, but not a lubricant. I'm looking for something to make the drive run smoother and quieter. Will this copper stuff do that also? And once applied, how often do I have to apply it after that? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.