High Temp Sensor Tripping

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JasAK

Jan 18, 2012
North Pole, AK
Hi guys,

Writing to you from North Pole, Alaska. It gets pretty cold here (-40F earlier this week). The issue I'm having is that the high temp sensor on my stove is tripping whenever I turn the stove up to setting 3 or higher.

Model: Vista Flame VF100
Year Installed: 2013 (purchased new)
Tonnage burned: approx. 2-3 tons per winter - so prob 18-20 tons total through the stove

This problem started happening this year. Here is what I know so far:

Exchanger is clean.
Convection blower seems to be working fine.
Feed rate trim is @ 1
Combustion air trim @ 4

We typically leave the stove at setting 2 all the time. Occasionally when its really cold I want to bump it up. Its been a mild winter so I haven't had the need until this past week. After approx. 1.5 hours burning on 3 the high temps sensor will pop.

Suggestions? Should I just replace the sensor. I don't have an infrared thermometer, but I can get one to see what the back of the stove is getting to. I suppose that is the probably the best way to determine if the sensor is going bad?

Thanks in advance for the help. I've often used the site for info and tips through the years I've been a pellet burner.

Changed the high temp sensor - no change.

I think I found the problem this morning. The convection blower is not always turning on. Which would explain why the stove is overheating and the tripping the high temp sensor. Instead of working the blower hums but doesn't turn. I opened the side panel and tapped the motor a few times and it started running.

I'm going to pull the motor and clean it out tonight. My question is this: If I need to replace the motor should I go back with and OEM or Aftermarket? Is there another blower that you guys would recommend that will work on my stove. Perhaps a better one? The OEM p/n is EF-002 - made by Fasco according to an online store.