hitzer 254 baffle relpacement question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nyquil Junkie

Aug 26, 2009
SW PA
I was looking at a used hitzer 254 and the only thing wrong with it is the baffle plate is burnt and has a crack in it. Online you can buy the baffle plate, but I cant find any info on how to put a new one in.

It sits on 2 strips of angle iron welded to the sides if the firebox, but the plate itself is not welded in, so I am guessing its made that way to replace it if needed.

I have no idea how to manuver the thing out or how to wiggle a new one in. Any info on how to do this?

Not sure, never replaced one. My guess is that is to tilt the back up while pulling it forward to drop out the door.

If in doubt, call Hitzer:

ah I got it, you have to remove all the bricks, and then it drops right out pretty easy. The darn thing is a 1/4+ inch plate steel.
This stove is built like a bulldozer. wow.

Ya, Hitzers are built like tanks.

Arrgh I found a nasty crack in this used one, but its such a cool stove I bought a brand new one. I cost an arm and a leg but it makes a lot of heat on far less wood than my vc intrepid ate, I am impressed.

seeing a brand new one now I see what a wreck the used one I was looking at really was. That guy must have overfired the darn thing every day to damage it like that.

I barely ned more than a few logs in the new one on a slow burn to cook me out of the house. I love it.

Aren't these coal stoves? Have you tried any?

pen

the 254is a coal stove, but the design burns wood very well, and gets a lot of heat out of a little wood it seems. I burned a test bed of hard coal in it, it works great but my house is so small I underestimated how much heat that produces. unless its a sub zero winter, this one is going to burn wood, the heat output is easier to regulate, for me anyway. Plus its easier to keep it properly burning.....wood fires aren't that touchy or fussy.

plus I have an unlimited supply of free wood.

In m old Vc I used to toss soft coal in with the wood and this 254 seems happy to burn well doing that also.

after yrs of feeding that little inrepid wood by the ton, this hitzer is gonna be a great improvement.

I looked at other stoves like the Englander and some other wood only stoves, but I wanted the option of burning coal (which here in swpa is abundant and cheap).

but yeah, it burns coal nicely. It puts put more than enough heat for 2k sq ft on low, cranked up on high, I cant imagine the heat you could get out of it.

Reactions: pen
Status
Not open for further replies.