Hole in Napoleon 1450

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

frederico265

Dec 1, 2018
New York
Just found a small hole in the back left corner of my Napoleon 1450. The hole is where the bracket is welded for the heat shield not where the sides of the stove is welded together. The hole is in line with the baffle. Wondering if this is something for the EPA stove or something I can weld to cover.

0CFE9F15-0211-478A-91AF-601B506DA261.jpeg D16FB05C-A974-4025-BBEE-8F3F6DA20A4C.jpeg

Looks like a weld defect. The welder probably fell asleep, welded off the joint and burnt through and then failed to fill the hole.

You'll have to weld it up since the first guy didn't.

Reactions: frederico265
How big hole? Can’t get a good sense of scale from the picture.

Not worth welding in my opinion that’s quite small. Odds are if I fire up my welder I’ll just make it bigger. any air it adds I don’t think would be vey noticeable. If I wanted to plug it I’d try a bit of gasket material.

Looks like it's always been there. If it's a concern you could put a screw in it.