Holes in my gloves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Flatbedford said:
I wore out a nice pair of Carhart gloves in about 6 days of splitting and stacking.
I done over 30 cord last year and 6 so far this year maybe I am a lucky dog!

I was surprised too.

Flatbedford said:
I was surprised too.
i like the cushion it give on the palms and give you less vibe from the saws (I like them so well I bought eveyone a pair for x-mass)

smokinj said:
i like the cushion it give on the palms and give you less vibe from the saws (I like them so well I bought eveyone a pair for x-mass)

There must have been a problem. I didn't get mine.

Flatbedford said:
smokinj said:

There must have been a problem. I didn't get mine.
stupid post office

Because I've been handling wood for more than a few moons, I definitely have my opinions on gloves too.

First, I buy winter gloves because that is when we do almost all of our cutting. Splitting and stacking is done in the Spring so I can just continue to use the winter gloves.

If you want something with a good grip, like for when you are running the saw, then get something that is suede and be sure you get pile lined and not thinsulate; it will be much warmer and much more flexible.

For the handling of wood, get a glove that is as smooth as you can get and not something that will grip. Otherwise just a small slide on the wood with the glove begins the wearing out process very quickly.

In the past few years, for the wood handling, I've been using a glove purchased from the Duluth Trading Co. I bought them online and found the fit to be great. Sadly, they have thinsulate so they get cold fast when the weather is really cold. If I use them then, I always take two pair with heaters in the pair I'm not wearing. However, when it comes Spring and splitting time they are fantastic. Same goes for the stacking part.

If anyone would like to see them, I'm wearing a pair in a picture I posted on this forum. I'll look that up and give a link.

How much can be said about gloves? They wear out. They get dirty. They stink. The longer they wear the dirtier they get and the more they stink.

Buy them, wear them, toss them. It's not a religion.

LLigetfa said:
It's not a religion.

On the contrary, I attend the First Church of Acme Nitrile. Communion on the 3rd week of the month consisting of wood chips and bar oil. :)

LLigetfa said:
How much can be said about gloves? They wear out. They get dirty. They stink. The longer they wear the dirtier they get and the more they stink.

Buy them, wear them, toss them. It's not a religion.

True, but the question is also how long can one wear them before they need to be tossed... The Atlas gloves seem to take longer to wear out, and can be tossed in the washer with your other grubbies, which keeps the dirt and stink to a reasonable level...

This puts them high on the scale of goodness for those of us that worship at the Church of Cheap.... :coolsmile:

Gooserider

I constantly battle the hole in one finger of my gloves. I must have 4 pairs of gloves that are perfectly good to wear but that hole in ONE finger - and obviously that finger gets beat on with a hole in the glove. The middle finger on my right hand always wears out first.

So I decided to use one old pair as the sacrificial lamb and cut off the middle finger from the left glove. Slid just that finger on my right hand and then put on another pair of gloves. Just like magic - I had a good set of gloves. You really just need enough of the tip of the finger to get you past the hole so I figure I could use the fingers on either side of the middle for replacement fingers. So now I feel like I just got 3 new pairs of gloves...

I think I will try that too.

Flatbedford said:
I think I will try that too.

I was kind of proud of myself when I 'figured' that out - if not just so I can use up my glove stash that has a hole in one damn finger. I felt even better when I showed my buddy he was amazed and ran home to work on his 5 or 6 pairs of gloves with a hole in one misc finger.

There is a bit of maintenance involved, as I have found, like occasionally pulling that piece of finger out and reinserting it as it gets moved around and mashed in there...

CTwoodburner said:
There is a bit of maintenance involved, as I have found, like occasionally pulling that piece of finger out and reinserting it as it gets moved around and mashed in there...

That's what I was thinking. Still better than throwing away an otherwise usable pair of gloves.

I constantly battle the hole in one finger of my gloves. I must have 4 pairs of gloves that are perfectly good to wear but that hole in ONE finger - and obviously that finger gets beat on with a hole in the glove. The middle finger on my right hand always wears out first.
Maybe you should try being more polite to the stuff you are working on??? ;-P

I just splurged a bit, but have solved my glove shortage for the next couple years... I have earlier mentioned my fondness for the rubber coated stretch fabric gloves - a few other folks have mentioned Cooper Safety Supply as a good source for the Atlas FIT gloves. They sell those gloves by the dozen, for a LOT less than my local True Value, so I ended up getting a bunch - they have free shipping for orders over $150, so I purchased two dozen pairs of the Atlas Therma-FIT model for winter use, and 2 dozen of the blue Atlas FIT model for warmer weather use. Came out to just a touch under $150, so I got a $4 bandana that is suposed to have those fancy evaprative cooling crystals sewn into it, figured I'd see how it worked, and save the $6 they would have otherwise charged me for shipping...

Bottom line is 4 dozen pairs of gloves for a little over $3 / pair... My local hardware store was selling the same gloves for $5-7 / pair... I figure it's a good investment.

As a side note, I tried the HF version of the gloves, and was NOT impressed - they were not at all warm (which could be a good thing...) and the rubber coating does not wear well at all, starts to peel off the fabric in just a couple of days of use.

Gooserider

Sounds like a good buy Goose as long as they do wear well.

I just reincarnated my Carhart gloves, which are so comfortable, but not so much with one finger torn open...

CTwoodburner said:
Sounds like a good buy Goose as long as they do wear well.

I just reincarnated my Carhart gloves, which are so comfortable, but not so much with one finger torn open...

They seem to wear pretty well, much better than any of the leather or leather-like "technical" style gloves that I've tried. I don't like the heavy duty leather gloves that don't fit terribly well, and give very poor feel, but the thinner gloves just don't hold up as well.

I help a friend with his wood business, and in the busy season probably handle 4-6 cords / week of split wood. I never got more than one or two weeks wear out of a pair of leather gloves before the fingers would rip, or just wear through. I also found that I would frequently have to try several pairs to find one where the seams were properly made so that they didn't dig into me.

With the rubberized knits, there are no seams, so the fit is much more comfortable, and I would get closer to a month out of a pair. When they did let go, the failure mode was more gradual - the rubber would wear down to the point where the knit fabric started to show through, and I would start feeling splinters and dirt poking through, but I don't think I've had any that actually got holes in them so I still had some protection...

If you've never tried a pair, I'd strongly reccomend that you do so...

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
I just splurged a bit, but have solved my glove shortage for the next couple years... I have earlier mentioned my fondness for the rubber coated stretch fabric gloves - a few other folks have mentioned Cooper Safety Supply as a good source for the Atlas FIT gloves. They sell those gloves by the dozen, for a LOT less than my local True Value, so I ended up getting a bunch - they have free shipping for orders over $150, so I purchased two dozen pairs of the Atlas Therma-FIT model for winter use, and 2 dozen of the blue Atlas FIT model for warmer weather use. Came out to just a touch under $150, so I got a $4 bandana that is suposed to have those fancy evaprative cooling crystals sewn into it, figured I'd see how it worked, and save the $6 they would have otherwise charged me for shipping...

Bottom line is 4 dozen pairs of gloves for a little over $3 / pair... My local hardware store was selling the same gloves for $5-7 / pair... I figure it's a good investment.

As a side note, I tried the HF version of the gloves, and was NOT impressed - they were not at all warm (which could be a good thing...) and the rubber coating does not wear well at all, starts to peel off the fabric in just a couple of days of use.

Gooserider

Regarding the HF version, delamination is one of the problems that you see often on the cheaper gloves. Also, if you inspect the "thumb crotch" area between the thumb and first finger, there can be knitting defects/holes that will cause the glove to fail quickly. In other cases, the coating compound will penetrate the liner too much, making it more like a non-textile glove. Even at this level, knockoffs are much better than they were several years ago.
Again, this is slightly commercialized and I am biased, but it is only to further discussion of the ongoing thread. The blue Atlas FIT is the 300, there are also versions that have higher coating on the back (305), hi visibility yellow orange color (317) and a double reinforced thumb crotch (330). You can see these at our web site http://www.showabestglove.com but would have to buy from a distributor as we are distributor only sales.

Thanks for the info Jeff, I will definitely check out the website.

As one peice of minor feedback, something that I would like on your gloves that none of the Atlas FIT gloves seem to offer is a contrasting color combination between the fabric and the coating. It seems like most of them seem to have a similar tint between the two, where the grey rubber is bonded to a grey liner, and the blue rubber has a bluish tinted liner, etc...

Doesn't make a bit of difference for most things, but if you have to do hand signals, it would make them easier to read. - I'm often needing to help guide my friend when he is backing a trailer of wood into the kiln, and he is always complaining that if I have my gloves on he has a hard time telling whether I have my palm forward telling him to pull ahead, or bacwards telling him to bring it back...

It would be nice if you had the same sort of high durability rubber coating in a dark color, with a bright yellow, or other hi-viz lining. That was one of the nicer things about the HF gloves, they had a yellow rubber coating on a dark grey liner, which was much better contrast, at least until the rubber got grubby (which is why I think a dark rubber on a light lining would stay contrasty for longer)

Gooserider

I had the skin on my fingers and palms surgically removed and replaced with an implanted Kevlar/Velcro hybrid fabric. Is was a bit pricey, but I'll never buy gloves again. Rick

fossil said:
I had the skin on my fingers and palms surgically removed and replaced with an implanted Kevlar/Velcro hybrid fabric. Is was a bit pricey, but I'll never buy gloves again. Rick

Does medical insurance cover that - b/c if it does, I am doing it. Then again, not sure the wife will let me touch anything sensitive after that??

Apparently wee need a "gloves" subforum under The Gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.