Holy rust batman!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd pay 50.00 for it if it was close. YOu could probably tear it down sandblast it and rebuild it and have a good stove. I would imagine that a replacement catalyst and housing would be in order also. Of course new gaskets etc.

I thought that too. Although, getting the porcelin enamel finish would be unattainable? ie you'd have to know someone at a place that did that sort of thing (which seems unlikely)

Flat black isn't half bad though

Yeah the porcelain enamel is probably out of the question. Even if you did know someone that did it. (I may be mistaken here) but at a dealer meeting this summer it was explained to me that you have to have two separate castings for a stove that will be flat black and one that will be enamel. I was told that the one for enamel is slightly undersized to accomodate the thickness of the enamel. You can do flat black or many other colors as well the nice thing about painted stoves is that they are easily restored and don't chip.

Very very true. I found that there are some very nice colors available in stove spray paint the last time I was at the hearth shop. ramsey isn't all that far, and it would give me a chance to go see the area where i grew up. If i can pick the stove up for a song it will definitely be worth it.

gotta say. if it was close I might do it just for the fun of it. You could always put it ina a cabin, etc.

Take a look at the rear picture top left major crack noticeable

Me thinks by the look of it that it was in a fire, no? Makes it wonder what else is wrong with it. I suppose a brazing torch, hammer and some NI 99 rod with your arc welder would fill the fissure but who really knows.

Ooh I didn't see that crack. I'd stay away from that one. Good eye Elk I wouldn't have noticed that until I drove down there to pick the thing up.

Yep you're right if you blow the picture up it is the air control lever. Oops. How does a situation like that work. Say you purchased that stove and when you went to pick it up there was a huge crack in it. Do you get you're money back or is it a tough luck situation?

generally, it depends on the seller. I'm the kind of person that wouldn't even list something with a crack. Technically, since the item was not described accurately in the auction, ebay would side with you. I believe.

But we all know there are some out there that would try to sell a broken stove. As a whole though, I like to think us woodburners tend to be honest people.

This stove will need a total rebuild. Please look at the pictures again, especially the side view with the damper lever. Look
at the top plate seam. All the bolts screws will probably strip out or break off. All refactory joints will have to be re done
and all gasketing. At least it is a non cat so one less thing to deal with and less gasketing. Did you know the early
Intripeds were combo wood Coal I wonder it this is one? There is no Refactory in mine 1987 Cat Model. While at check
Craig's list. Here is an example in Hartford CT area Actually in Frank's town

http://hartford.craigslist.org/hsh/116985372.html

Vermont Castings Vigilant model wood/coal burning stove. Excellent condition. Has both tempered glass and optional solid steel front doors. 50,000 BTU's output with auto temperature control. Handles up to 18" wood logs or coal and can be loaded through top or front. Flue outlet back or top. 860-651-5916
this is in or around West Simsbury, CT

Reply to: [email protected]
Date: 2006-01-20, 5:05PM EST

oh i know the stove needs a total rebuild. That would be total rebuild number 3 :) (All vermont castings stoves I may add). the broken bolts and such aren't my main concern. My main concern is getting the finish of the exterior of the stove back up to par.

I don't really need a nother stove project right now, I'm SURE the wife would agree. But for the right price, this would be a hard one to pass up.

Right now, I'm high bidder on it. But let me say that I have listed my max bid at a fairly low number. This would be a project just to see if it could be done. I know I can handle rust. I just basically want to spread the thing out in pieces, and puit it back together. That would be an "atta boy" I'd love to give myself. If I can get it to work, I might actually install it. We'll see.

Anybody use the POR-15 stuff to do rust. I've done it on autobody stuff, and it is the cat's pajamas. But I don't know how it would handle high heat. They have high heat stuff, but is it enough?

Joshua

Joshua: For info on what works on hi heat try the board on this site. http://www.autobodystore.com/. Chances are that someone there has done it but from what I hear the best paint on rust is something called zero rust. Personally there is no substitute for sandblasting though a wire wheel will do it nicely. You can also do it by electrolisis if you have a tank or can righ a kid pool ect to submerge that thing. All it takes is a battery charger, some water and baking powder. At least I think its baking powder look it up to be sure. I got best luck from heavy castings like that with the electrolisis methon. Just be ready to coat it quick as it will be back to white metal and rust instantly. Ask on Lens group I referred to as to what will hold up to heat paint wise as chances are someone has done a resto job on something needing just that. I know they make ceramic header paint that will hold up to 1600 deg and its not too expensive. You should be able to clean that up real nice but in all I wonder if just using stove black might be better.

The glass on that stove is smaller than the current stoves. How old is that stove? Is it the modern ceramic "glass" material?

This is an Intrepid I Manufactured between july 1982 - June 1988 Non Cat stove. And yes the glass is Ceramic type.
This and the early Intrepid II had the smaller glass area doors however the glass is double pane separated by a 3/16" gasket
In 1992 there was a switch to a single pane of glass. and larger glas viewing area

Status
Not open for further replies.