HOLY S@##! latest prices

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Inferno

I called Lowes in Dartmouth, MA this AM & they had a truck come in yesterday & one today. Yesterday's are gone. Expects 4 more trucks in the next week. Nature's Best is what he had come in today $219/ton. Unfortunately he can't tell what he has coming until they actually hit the store. Has anybody used these before?

I find it hard to believe that stores don't know what is on the truck. How is that even possible these days with computers and JIT ordering. There is knowledge somewhere so it's the store not wanting to tell you or it's bad practice.

Lowes an HD get so many trucks I believe it.. look they sell what 4-5 diff brands? They don't know which one is coming next cause the store might not be doing the ordering...

Edit just talked to a manager and I guess he knows they are coming next week but isn't sure what green team is sending? Possible they rebag under another name to?

I was at my local stove shop getting the gasket replaced on my stove, when someone came in to by pellets.
The strange thing is the pellets made out of pine were more expensive then the pellets made out of oak.

Does anyone know why soft wood would be more expensive then hard wood?

I thought that the oak pellets would burn longer then pine pellets making them a better value.
But, since I do not use pellets I do not know.

MishMouse said:
I was at my local stove shop getting the gasket replaced on my stove, when someone came in to by pellets.
The strange thing is the pellets made out of pine were more expensive then the pellets made out of oak.

I thought that the oak pellets would burn longer then pine pellets making them a better value.

"in theory" the production process eliminates those things that are naturally different about the woods (moisture content and density). likely the price is reflective of the overall quality, or transportation costs.

did some calling around yesterday at TSC and this is what I found;
lockport...... American wood fiber... 239
hamburg..... American wood fiber... 204
alden.......... premium wood........... 195
Springville.... ( lost their supplier)....10 bag max @4.75 no info about what kind.

The box stores do not know what brands come in as all pellets are listed under one SKU... The big box mentality is that this is a commodity. They have no idea about product loyalty or product quality. A pellet is a pellet is a pellet. I was at Lowes and this is how their system is set up. When I go in their stores, and engage in conversation, they are amazed at what I tell them.
As long as this continues, the little guys will always stay in business.

Delta-T said:
MishMouse said:

"in theory" the production process eliminates those things that are naturally different about the woods (moisture content and density). likely the price is reflective of the overall quality, or transportation costs.

In my testing I actaully had hardwoods burn faster(didn't last as long) than softwoods. Because the stoves feed system feeds the fuel by volume, Size and density play a roll in how long they last. A smaller more dense pellet supplies more volume to the fire. So density still plays a roll in how long said pellet lasts, But size also has to be considered. The pellet that puts the most volume to the fire will last the least longest but probably(well here is were moisture plays its roll) have the hottest fire going. Add that most pellet stoves have thermostats, So most factors are less noticable as the stove will only run as long as it is asked to by the thermostat. The stove would run less when the hotter pellet is burnt and reach the stat setting faster than a pellet that burns cooler.

Lots of variables in pellets and tough on the brain trying to figure them out. Guaranteed to produce gray hair quickly!

there you have it folks....size DOES matter.

Delta-T said:
there you have it folks....size DOES matter.

Dammnnnn! I been in denial for a long time!

j-takeman said:
Sorry fella's the size you need has to be small/short to get good feed. ;-)

LOL, that was GOOD....!!!! :p

Iceman try Squires in Monson

Oakies for 249 ton/ $323 1.3ton skid
NEWP $239/ton
Omally $229/ton
Main wood $244/ton

I am surprised to see any winter stuff out at this point. I was at Walmart 2 or 3 days ago and they already had plant seeds, hoses, lawn mowers, etc out. Seriously? We have high temps of 15-20* still! What the hell do I need that stuff for when it's winter for another 2 months at least?

Walking through the garden center of the local Walmart, I spotted a full pallet of Pennington's buried behind all the pallets of topsoil etc. I asked for a manager and got the entire ton for $150

brihvac said:
Walking through the garden center of the local Wal, I spotted a full pallet of Pennington's buried behind all the pallets of topsoil etc. I asked for a manager and got the entire ton for $150
Does your stove like those Pennington's? I Picked up a couple bags from Wal-Mart and HD. They were completely different. One had PFI stamp and were long and light, the other didnt have logo and were short and dark. Every stove and set-up is different. My magnetic temp on side of stove, meat thermo, and Infrared Gun were all lower, by a considerable amount. I was not a fan of them at all, but I would burn them for $150 a ton though!!! Might stop by my local W-M and see what I can con them down to. My best bet is still HD and Menard's. They have been at $175 (Menard's) and $177 (Home Depot) pretty regular this season. Found some Great Lakes pellets on Craiglist for dirt cheap, but never heard anything about them. Don't want to buy 2 tons of anything without trying them 1st.

DexterDay said:
brihvac said:
Walking through the garden center of the local Wal, I spotted a full pallet of Pennington's buried behind all the pallets of topsoil etc. I asked for a manager and got the entire ton for $150
Does your stove like those Pennington's? I Picked up a couple bags from Wal-Mart and HD. They were completely different. One had PFI stamp and were long and light, the other didnt have logo and were short and dark. Every stove and set-up is different. My magnetic temp on side of stove, meat thermo, and Infrared Gun were all lower, by a considerable amount. I was not a fan of them at all, but I would burn them for $150 a ton though!!! Might stop by my local W-M and see what I can con them down to. My best bet is still HD and Menard's. They have been at $175 (Menard's) and $177 (Home Depot) pretty regular this season. Found some Great Lakes pellets on Craiglist for dirt cheap, but never heard anything about them. Don't want to buy 2 tons of anything without trying them 1st.

I actually have not installed my stove yet. Im going to do it some time over the summer because I am still not functional from my rotator cuff surgery. I have them on my truck wrapped up on the pallet. My buddys gonna help me get them off the truck later. I will get the specifics off the bag then. Around here nobody really has any pellets except one stove store has American Wood Fiber for $239 a ton and guy I saw that was local on Craigslist (supposedly a stove store) is taking pre paid orders for Hamer Hot Ones for $255.
This is my first stove of any kind. I always thought pellets were pellets. Never knew there were so many brands and so many differances. I will try these. With never owning a stove before, I really wont know if they are any good until I try another brand. No big stores are gonna have any until next season. Im gonna keep my eyes open at Home Depot and Lowes for when they start getting some in.

brihvac said:
Walking through the garden center of the local Walmart, I spotted a full pallet of Pennington's buried behind all the pallets of topsoil etc. I asked for a manager and got the entire ton for $150
Same price i paid for pennington's at Sam's club last fall, shoulder pellet at best, lot's of ash, low heat.

Sorry guys I know every stove is different. But I will turn on my oil before I ever buy another Pennington pellet. Trash in my opinion. I ended up dumping the left over bags I had in my yard for ice melt.

brihvac said:
DexterDay said:
brihvac said:

I actually have not installed my stove yet. Im going to do it some time over the summer because I am still not functional from my rotator cuff surgery. I have them on my truck wrapped up on the pallet. My buddys gonna help me get them off the truck later. I will get the specifics off the bag then. Around here nobody really has any pellets except one stove store has American Wood Fiber for $239 a ton and guy I saw that was local on Craigslist (supposedly a stove store) is taking pre paid orders for Hamer Hot Ones for $255.
This is my first stove of any kind. I always thought pellets were pellets. Never knew there were so many brands and so many differances. I will try these. With never owning a stove before, I really wont know if they are any good until I try another brand. No big stores are gonna have any until next season. Im gonna keep my eyes open at Home Depot and Lowes for when they start getting some in.

Again the warning...Do not do prepaid pellet orders.

Franks said:
brihvac said:
DexterDay said:
brihvac said:

Again the warning...Do not do prepaid pellet orders.

Newbies might not know the sad tails of the prepaid horror stories. Be vary vary afraid of the prepaid deals. To many have just taken the funds and never deliver. The only "PRE" deals I would consider is preorder with payment due on delivery. My local pellet house has been doing that for the last several years. Just be kind if you do preorder and hold up on your end of the bargain.

Note taken on pre paid pellets.

As far as the Pennington's. Oh well. Live and learn. Only a $150. I can drink that much at the bar

brihvac said:
Note taken on pre paid pellets.

As far as the Pennington's. Oh well. Live and learn. Only a $150. I can drink that much at the bar

Hey for $150 not a big loss, You should be able to burn them in the shoulders(fall/spring season) to extend the better/hotter pellets in your stash. I would have a hard time passing them by myself!

I have heard some say Pennies have an all Oak pellet(I haven't seen them locally). If you happened to get them? It would be a major plus to the deal you got!

Not sure which Penn he has either.
When we went they had two different bags and at the time I did not know or pay attention the difference. One was the 4.50 bag and the other was the 6.50 bag both Penns. I bought the 4.50 cause I knew the next day I would be getting my regular pellets.

Status
Not open for further replies.