Holy smoke !!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SubMech

Aug 9, 2011
Eastern CT
Started my stove for the first time this morning and all seemed well. After about 1/2 hour (now on level 3) I noticed that the room was getting kind of foggy. Using a special high power handheld moonbeam, I tracked it down to the left side of the door. Is it normal for a brand new stove to have a leaky door gasket?

No not normal. Is this the first burn? I have seen them smoke pretty bad during the cure period. If the gasket is leaking you should be able to close the door on a dollar and still pull it out. If the gasket is good the dollar will be tough to pull and might even rip/tear.

I'd call the dealer and see what he can do!

I doubt it's the door gasket. If it was, it would be sucking air, not blowing air into the room. On the M55, you would have to look for leaks starting at the combustion blower and going out thru the exhaust pipe. Everything up to that point is under a vacuum and therefore shouldn't be able to push smoke into the room. After the combustion blower, the air is under pressure and can then push smoke out of a leak into the room.

If you have a new stove, it's normal for it to smoke while it burns in. Mine really smoked up the house for the first burn. It took a few days of running the stove to get it to go away fully.

Yes, this was the first burn. I started looking for the smoke at the exhaust and moved around from there. It was most definitely coming from the left side of the door. I did try the dollar bill and it was super tight all around. I'm hoping it was just the paint cure like you both said. I remember the first good burn with the wood insert and I only had smell from that, no smoke. Thanks.

I wouldn't worry. Plus, the paint burning in has more of a strange "hot" smelling odor than smoke smell. Kinda hard to describe. Open the windows and try to blow it out. It will do it again when you turn up the heat to heat level 5. I started at heat level 3 to get it set, then went to heat level 5 and got it good and hot.

But, I did the same as you...thought I had a leak. Took the exhaust all apart for nothing! :shut:

Ah, the joys of the first fire.

I'll bet the next stove if new gets a burn in run outdoors.

Open the windows and cure that stove ;-) .

Enjoy the heat.

SmokeyTheBear said:

Enjoy the heat.

You are 100% correct sir, next stove gets burn #1 on the driveway. Had plans of doing that but never followed through. I'm thinking open windows and another start up in the morning.

SubMech said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

Enjoy the heat.

You are 100% correct sir, next stove gets burn #1 on the driveway. Had plans of doing that but never followed through. I'm thinking open windows and another start up in the morning.

On behalf of the currently somewhat missing in action head folks of the Pellet Pig Club I hereby grant you your OINKS, please add the following two lines to your sig.

“Proud member of the Pellet Pig Club†OINK OINK!!
“You pellet pigs should be ashaimed of yourselvesâ€-eernest4-Grand Poobah-Pellet Pig Club

Now go forth and root in the pellet piles.

SmokeyTheBear said:
SubMech said:
SmokeyTheBear said:

Enjoy the heat.

On behalf of the currently somewhat missing in action head folks of the Pellet Pig Club I hereby grant you your OINKS, please add the following two lines to your sig.

“Proud member of the Pellet Pig Club†OINK OINK!!
“You pellet pigs should be ashaimed of yourselvesâ€-eernest4-Grand Poobah-Pellet Pig Club

Now go forth and root in the pellet piles.

Thats a catchy way of entering them in! I would of held out for atleast one picture of the stove! :)

Welcome fellow piggie! A rooting you must go! I love the rooting part!!!hehe :cheese:

My dealer ALWAYS does a pre-burn on all new stoves... a really good idea.

PJPellet said:
krooser said:
My dealer ALWAYS does a pre-burn on all new stoves... a really good idea.

Mine too. I am really glad about that.

As a dealer we always pre-burn the stoves before the install. Just doing that has reduced call backs by at least 50%. The other part of reducing call backs is using ICC pellet pipe, it never leaks smoke.

My take on this would be "Cure smoke" thats finding its way via the air flow stream to whre you are seeing it.

Does this stove blow the heat out the front near the top of the stove??

I have "Drivway cured" every stove that we have had. Just get them suckers to really a romping and let that paint cure and burn in well.

I remember the first Pellet stove we ever owned, it was an Earthstove Traditions cast iron stove.

We got it in the house and I spent a few hours hooking it up, then lit it off and OMG the house was smokey as all get out for a while as that beast cured.

That stove was a Positive pressure fire box type and we had a few smoke leaks where the casting pieces fit together.

Some black RTV carefully smeared along the seams took care of that issue.

Good luck with the new stove.

Snowy

Status
Not open for further replies.