home automation kit - searching for a Use Case

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

twd000

Feeling the Heat
Aug 28, 2015
Southern New Hampshire
I got a free Hive kit in the mail when I signed up with my electric utility provider. That alone should make me suspicious ;-) but I'm wondering if there is any way to use these gadgets to save energy/money?

https://www.hivehome.com/us/packs/hive-starter-pack

It comes with
Hive Hub
1x Hive Active Plug
2x Hive Active Light Cool to Warm White
2x Hive Window or Door Sensor

unfortunately no thermostat, but there is a matching one I could buy for another $100

Maybe I'm old-school, but I just can't figure out how these gadgets fit into our lifestyle. I guess it would be a bit easier than walking over to slip the wall switch, but...?

Family of five, someone is always home. Primarily wood heat, with propane furnace running on second-floor zone.

Electric usage is about 800 kWh per month. I have an Efergy whole house monitor that I'm using to analyze trends and heavy usage.

Should I just toss these things in a drawer, or can anyone tell me a cool hack to improve my quality of life now that I'm "smart"?

Sell on EBay for $150. Enjoy the cash?

Reactions: twd000
Be sure to check the monthly utility bill.. Twenty years ago free phones were everything but.

I plan to connect each device to my Kill-a-Watt meter to see how much it's drawing when idle. Convenience has a cost, but if the smart outlet turns off a heavy-draw load, it may be worth it.