Home chipper/shredder recommendations?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

paredown

Burning Hunk
Jan 11, 2009
Lower Hudson New York
I have an old Bolens that I dragged home that has never worked properly (dreaded old-gen Briggs; never got it to run properly after farting around with it for days). I really don't know if it even works adequately--so before I give it one more try before the heave-ho, does anyone have a home shredder that will actually shred bark and small brush.

(I have rented a big-ass machine when I have accumulated piles from downed trees--but what I have in mind is shredding bark from splitting wood (pretty soft), small fallen branches off the lawn--and in my dreams, something that would actually shred leaves.)

I have an Echo Bearcat 5" 20hp chipper shredder . it does the job. it does run around $8g new though. Got a 8hp chute folds down for leaves ( but those leaves have to be perfectly dry) garden shredder/chipper also supposed to take up a 3" branch, waste of money thing always jams up. I have an ancient Merrimac 3hp those really do work for leaves and twigs under about an 1"

I just bought the Woodmaxx 1260 for 1800. It's AMAZING. I went around chipping all my neighbors sticks during the ice storm that hit here and knocked out trees and power for days. It's small enough to fit in the shed but will cut up anything you can feed it, and the gravity feed actually works. It's one of the few chippers I've used that's really fun to use.

Before that I had a DR Power chipper that was dang near worthless and cost about the same.

Regarding leaves, you won't find a good leaf shredder for green leaves. Most use blades at a high speed so unless they're really dry and large they'll just blow through.

I borrow my buddy's 20 hp machine. Not sure the brand but the Honda V-twin on it and the big-a**ed chipping flywheel handles up to about 4". He and his wife bought it for each other about 15 years ago for their anniversary present to each other, paid mid-$4K range for it. Bearcat might be the brand, but I haven't used it in 18 months or so and I never paid attention to anything on it except that big Honda. Never ever got it stuck like those worthless 5 HP pieces of turd that they sell at the big box stores. Those can't chip styrofoam.

I've never seen any good feedback on those little things at the box stores. I guess they would be ok for small twigs and dry leaves but a lawnmower would do the same. You have to get something big to have it work properly, and that comes with a steep price. The bark will be an issue with any homeowner model, the chute isn't big enough. Maybe a brush hog, either walk behind or on atv. A rake, a quart of diesel, and a match is the last option.

I just bought a Woodmaxx PTO driven for my tractor. It'll chew up anything.

Reactions: GadDummit
I have two.
1) A Champion 338 cc chipper shredder. Works very well starts easily. Heavy to move but also heavy well built. Had it for probably 3 years. Use the shredder the most. Chipper is 3" max.
2) A Woodmaxx 8m 3 point tractor attachment. Purchased and used this year. Very heavy duty and well made. A beast. Takes up to 8".

Both have their place.

I used an old White chipper/shredder that I got from my Dad when he retired for several years. It ran great but could only handle small soft branches. I had to force them in one at a time. I sold it to a friend. He knew how to take it apart and sharpen the blade. He is happy with it.

I replaced it with a DEK commercial duty chipper. It will chip branches up to 4 inches. I cut out part of the screen to prevent it from clogging on pine needles and leaves. My friend told me how to keep a steep angle on the cutting blade so that it pulls branches in. For a while, I had the angle too flat and I had to force branches into it. I can't remember what I paid for it but it was less than the $2,000 list price. I am satisfied with it and would buy it again.
white.jpg1608684821804.png