Home Depot Blinked!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyray

Minister of Fire
Well, at least in my part of the country North of Phila...
started out selling at 269.00 ton for the ashy stuff[ up 40.00 from winter of '13-14]
price is now 259.00 ton for Leading Ash maker Nations Choice & Nations Pride..
lots of tons in the back with no "sold" stickers on them....
people either holding out or going for better quality for extra 20- 30 bucks..
or burning heating Oil this winter..... either reason, good to see the gouging slow down.>>

started out selling at 269.00 ton for the ashy stuff[ up 40.00 from winter of '13-14]
or burning heating Oil this winter..... either reason, good to see the gouging slow down.>>

I am a wood burner but just about all my friends/family with pellets stoves are burning oil this year. Heating oil is cheap around here. From a cost savings perspective $1.58 heating oil is way cheaper than Home Depots $5.59 a bag around here.

oil-jpg.166918.jpg

The sales figures for one of the southern NH stores are down 40% from last year at this time. If you remember, it really didn't get cold until January.

Home depot here in my part of nj is selling pellets 259.00 a ton. I got the green supreme but they also had presto logs. Lowes is selling their stuff for 299.00 a ton which is why i went to hd.

Home depot here in my part of nj is selling pellets 259.00 a ton. I got the green supreme but they also had presto logs. Lowes is selling their stuff for 299.00 a ton which is why i went to hd.
I would pass on the GS and got the Presto-logs (lignetics)

Up here they went from 269 to 259 rather quickly - say over the course of a month. I expect them to drop even further. I ordered the bare min to get me by this winter, but I intend to keep an eye on the price and order a lot more if they cut it. I hear a lot of people aren't buying. Stock is just sitting there.

When I ordered my stove chow I asked if they could do any better on the price if I bought double but they wouldn't budge.

Deffinitly get the Presto Logs... many times better in heat and low ash..

Come spring, there's going to be a LOT a blowout sales......

Another 2-3ton burner here that is holding out on the prices. Crazy in western MA as well. (that and I'm considering moving, and don't want to have a tons of pellets to potentially have to deal with)
I might pick up a single ton at $259. I'd rather see it drop down to ~$239 which was a typical late fall price last year.

That's ok they expect oil to drop some more too. In fact got a delivery yesterday at $1.90 gal, today the same place had a sign out for $1.88. I have seen no good pellet brands offered anywhere locally except Spruce Point at $279 a ton. No thanks.

To the poster thinking there will be a great sale on pellets next spring because stock didn't move at the BBS. They store these outdoors in those places, and not so well wrapped. I'd expect by next spring those pellets will be basically unburnable, so I hope they go on sale long before then and move that stock out and get in some quality pellets. However, BBSs don't like to eat product or lose money so they may not restock at all given the dud year. When oil drops under $2 a gallon it's tough to compete with pellets. Seems to me someone posted on here last year with pellets even at $229 a ton oil had to be under $2 a gallon to break even. If that is the case I'm not paying $259 for pellets with oil at $1.88. It will cost more to heat my house with pellets and take tons ( excuse the pun) more work. It's just plain silly, it's upside down. I don't burn pellets to get a kick out of it but to save a buck or two. Damned if I'm going to pay more and for lousy pellets at that, than I do for oil to heat my house.

Reactions: SXIPro
Home Depot seems uninterested in selling pellets this year. They jacked up the single bag price and don't even bother to put a price sign up where they store the open pallets. Same pallets have been sitting there for months with falling apart bags. It just doesn't look good and it turns me off to buying anything from them. It's like buying something at a convenience store that has no price on it - I won't do it. I'll drive to the supermarket rather than having to play games to find out what it costs (I just did this last week.) Add to that the fact that their prices are inflated during a low oil price period and, well, they can keep them. I just filled my oil tank and I'm not sure whether I'll burn any pellets this year other than the 5 bags leftover from last year.

Home Depot seems uninterested in selling pellets this year. They jacked up the single bag price and don't even bother to put a price sign up where they store the open pallets. Same pallets have been sitting there for months with falling apart bags. It just doesn't look good and it turns me off to buying anything from them. It's like buying something at a convenience store that has no price on it - I won't do it. I'll drive to the supermarket rather than having to play games to find out what it costs (I just did this last week.) Add to that the fact that their prices are inflated during a low oil price period and, well, they can keep them. I just filled my oil tank and I'm not sure whether I'll burn any pellets this year other than the 5 bags leftover from last year.
Yep filled our tank too with oil: Monday we paid $1.90, yesterday the same places price ? $1.88. Today same places price ? $1.85.

Yep filled our tank too with oil: Monday we paid $1.90, yesterday the same places price ? $1.88. Today same places price ? $1.85.

Two of the cash-on-delivery places are @ $1.70 - pretty good for this area.

If only Propane would follow suit.
Just filled my 250 gallon tank for $2.89/gal.... Thankfully it will last me to about September of 2016 :)

Reactions: bogieb
Good to see. 6 more blinks and I may jump in.

Just filled my 250 gallon tank for $2.89/gal.... Thankfully it will last me to about September of 2016 :)

Our soon to be ex-Propane provider just came and 'topped off' our tank, unscheduled, put in 35 gallons at $4.89 a gallon and charged us a $60.00 fee since it was less than a half tank (or something along those lines). Feel like renting a helicopter and dropping that tank on their office. Crooks.

Our soon to be ex-Propane provider just came and 'topped off' our tank, unscheduled, put in 35 gallons at $4.89 a gallon and charged us a $60.00 fee since it was less than a half tank (or something along those lines). Feel like renting a helicopter and dropping that tank on their office. Crooks.
Wow..... If they came without you asking, they by law can not charge you a $60.00 fee.... (Automatic fill I assume)

Is it their tank? I would have told them to come get their tank, or drop the $60.00 charge, or you're changing suppliers...

Reactions: bags
My propane company just sent me a bill for $180 low usage fee. Funny, they only filled my tank to 8O% figuring they would whack me. If they had filled the whole tank, I would have met the criteria . Surely not paying the fee. I even took a pic of the gauge after they came. Osterman Propane at their best. If you google this comp. they have a one star rating with a plethora of complaints. They own the tank but soon I think I'm gonna buy out the contract.

They only fill to 80-85% anyway based on outside temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.