Home Fires vs. North Idaho Logs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

olddawgsrule

Hearth Supporter
I posted a while back while researching quality alternates to cordwood. I found both to be fairly equal and bought HF's for my own reasons. Here are some more of my 'real life' thoughts.

And Folks, these are 'my' real life thoughts.

I bought the HFs mainly because they last longer and are 'truly' controllable. I found the NEIL's burn quicker and when they break (which they will) will go 'out-of-control'.

I have learned the the HF's really need much more air to burn high. For a moderate fire, I break them in half and burn accordingly. Works great. For a really cold night, I'm loading logs and barely keeping up.

Now the NEIL's I've found burning a log at a time is risky to say the least. Once it breaks it goes out of control fast. So breaking them down is certainly the way to go. Great heat and keeps up nicely if done right.

So where that does that put me?

The HF's are my go to log, even though most times I'm burning half at a time. The NEIL's are now my 'cold weather' log, though still I'll break them down to portions at a time. To drop a log for when I go to bed, HFs win. I can trust them.

NEIL's, I've caught myself so many times closing the flue to keep control. HF's, half way for moderate, wide open if really cold.

You confused yet as to which way I lean?

I'm heading out to buy some more NEIL's to supplement the 'real' cold times. The HF's will remain my base log. I can walk away from HF's with no fear of 'run away', yet want the heat the NEIL brings to the game when there to attend.

My Humble Opinion and hope it helps someone out there debating what to buy.

1 Ton HF's
a Few boxes of NEIL's

Ya I have some cordwood around, just not much dry right now..

I broke 3 in half and burned them with 2 NIELs on top. My test fire with 3.5 NIELS was in a Jotul Castine. Nothing dramatic happened with the burning, just a bit less fuel and a better fit for the shallow firebox. It never got out of control, but the secondary show was awesome. Mostly blue flames.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/wiki/Northern_Idaho_Energy_Logs/

The HomeFires were also good and tested about the same. I like the HomeFires because they have one flat face that stops them from rolling.

Last edited: