Home nightmare, need advice.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not asbestos, just the old dirty insulation in my attic.

And in your lungs. You would breathe in a TON of that stuff when you were doing that, even with a respirator. Once it goes airborne, you're in trouble.

IIRC fiber length has a lot to do with how dangerous asbestos is.
Having been exposed a lot of it as an auto mechanic I was glad to read somewhere that the shorter fibers like those produced by worn brake linings are less likely to cause problems.

I recently had dealings with a attic with vermiculite in it. I was told by the insulating contractor that even though it gets removed, the house is tagged as having it in there previously and must be disclosed to the next buyer.

If it is contaminated, typically a home owner can do the abatement themselves. Check with your local Department of Environmental Protection or Department of Public Health. Its not rocket science.

From the Wyoming website:
You may perform asbestos abatement in your own home but this is not recommended as improperly following asbestos abatement procedure will lead to accidental contamination and the possibility of disturbing materials that were otherwise inert and harmless. Additionally, cheaper alternatives to removal are available and can be applied through the use of a trained and licensed professional.

If you must perform asbestos safe abatement, be sure to have the services of an asbestos inspector. The inspector will advices you on potential hazards and help you formulate an appropriate abatement procedure. Most importantly, you will need to disposed of asbestos containing materials accordingly to avoid a citation and fines.

Status
Not open for further replies.