Homelite saw won't stay running

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This saw is somewhat of a pain in the arse. LOL! I started taking it apart last night. I wasn't able to get inside the unit to access the brake; I'm not sure how that's done. I couldn't get the inner part of the clutch off the shaft either.

So I pulled the carb apart again and gave that a really good cleaning. The primer bulb isn't located on the carb, it's located on the saw body. Two lines go into the carb: one from the primer, one from the tank. The mix screws on this thing are odd. They're partially incased in plastic and can only be adjusted a certain amount. I don't know if this is for emssions reasons or to protect shade tree mechanics like myself from throwing the adjustments really far out of whack.

As I'm putting it all back together, the c-clip that holds the clutch drum to the shaft when flying and I never heard where it landed. Grrr! I was able to get the saw running, but couldn't really test it. Once the saw got running, the clutch expands and then hits the body of the saw. Instead of breaking something, I shut it down. I'll hit the hardware store today and grab a c-clip.

Skier76 said:
This saw is somewhat of a pain in the arse. LOL! I started taking it apart last night. I wasn't able to get inside the unit to access the brake; I'm not sure how that's done. I couldn't get the inner part of the clutch off the shaft either.

So I pulled the carb apart again and gave that a really good cleaning. The primer bulb isn't located on the carb, it's located on the saw body. Two lines go into the carb: one from the primer, one from the tank. The mix screws on this thing are odd. They're partially incased in plastic and can only be adjusted a certain amount. I don't know if this is for emssions reasons or to protect shade tree mechanics like myself from throwing the adjustments really far out of whack.

As I'm putting it all back together, the c-clip that holds the clutch drum to the shaft when flying and I never heard where it landed. Grrr! I was able to get the saw running, but couldn't really test it. Once the saw got running, the clutch expands and then hits the body of the saw. Instead of breaking something, I shut it down. I'll hit the hardware store today and grab a c-clip.

Hey, all is not lost. You learned something! It sounds like you made progress. Those annoying plastic restraints on the adjustment screws usually just get broken off by we shade tree mechanics. The line that runs from the carb to the tank actually is like an overflow and routes excess gas back to the tank (I believe). One of my saws has the 'external' primer bulb too and it developed a small crack in it and wouldn't feed fuel. As to the 'E' clip, been there and done that more than once - sadly. If it runs OK when you get the clutch together but not when the brake is put back on, then that's your problem.

Unfortunately, I couldn't access the brake. So if it still doesn't run once I get the clutch together, I may have to dig deeper into the saw body.

Do those primer bulbs leak when they crack? Mind seems to be "OK" right now.

be careful not to run it without the clutch drum in place. The clutch shoes can move outward with centrifugal force (as they are intended to do) but without the drum to hold them, pieces can go everywhere and possible injury.

May be a frustrating POS, but think of all you have learned and gained so far.......consider it a cheap price of tuition. Basket case 'cheap' motorcycles, cars, mowers, tractors, saws,.....Been there, done that, don't want to again, but glad for what I learned through it.

k

Skier76 said:
Unfortunately, I couldn't access the brake. So if it still doesn't run once I get the clutch together, I may have to dig deeper into the saw body.

Do those primer bulbs leak when they crack? Mind seems to be "OK" right now.

Yea, don't run it without the clutch drum in place. It the primer bulb is cracked, your carb will be sucking air along with gas and run very lean or not at all. Replacements are cheap and available at Lowes and HD. Pretty much a generic part.

Well, I gave it the ol' "college try". I put a new plug in, got the clutch drum on and it still stalls out. I looked a bit more closely at the unit it it looks like something is wrong with the brake. I hate to say it, but it's just not worth my time to tear the entire thing apart just to get to the brake. I appreciate everyone's help with this. I now have a better understanding of how these small two stroke carbs work. Even though I didn't get it running, I still took a few bits of knowlege away from this experience. Thanks again guys.

not mean so sound smart a.. here, but is the brake simply set on? The front handle obviously, but some saws have an additional interlock on top of the rear handle, such that releasing the grip sets the brake.

k

No worries at all Kevin. I probably should have gone into more detail. It looks like whatever connects the brake lever to the brake unit is broken. So, I think there's no way to operate the brake now without taking the unit apart.

It shouldn't be that difficult to get the clutch hub off to get to the brake... Essentially the procedure is to pull the spark plug and stuff some sort of soft material into the hole (lots of people use the starter rope, it's handy and works good) to act as a piston stop and keep the crank from turning, then figure out a way to get a wrench on the hub - typically it is supposed to take an "official special factory tool" but often this can be improvised by putting a couple of bits of metal in the slots / holes where the official tool should go, or possibly just putting a strap wrench around the outside of the entire hub.

The other gotcha to remember is that most saws will have a LEFT HAND THREAD on the clutch, so you need to turn it backwards to remove it...

As a side note, if you do decide to give up on it, your best bet for getting rid of it is probably to throw an add up on the right section of Arboristsite - they have many members there that collect older saws and will pay more for them that you might expect...

Gooserider

Gooserider, great info there! I did notice on the clutch, there was an arrow. As you mentioned, it was probably noting what direction to turn it to remove it.

I actually sold the saw yesterday. Put an ad on craigslist Wed night, a guy grabbed it yesterday for $20. I told him to let me know if he's able to get it running or not.

Skier76 said:
Gooserider, great info there! I did notice on the clutch, there was an arrow. As you mentioned, it was probably noting what direction to turn it to remove it.

I actually sold the saw yesterday. Put an ad on craigslist Wed night, a guy grabbed it yesterday for $20. I told him to let me know if he's able to get it running or not.

Wow, I wished you lived near me! I would have snapped that up for $20! We fly large scale model airplanes (hence my avatar of 90" wingspan Corsair) and use those engines for some of the planes. Now your biggest worry is that he calls you and says he pulled the cord and it runs like a dream. :eek:)

Those planes must move with saw engines!

I thought $20 was pretty fair; the saw certainly needed some work. I'd rather sell it quickly at a lower "fair" price than try to rip someone off just so I can make a few more bucks.

HA! I guess there's always a chance of him e-mailing me that he put in a new fuel filter and it runs like a dream. But I have a feeling he'll have to tear into a bit and free up that brake. I really do hope he gets it running though. The saw was in good shape over all. I just hate throwing away stuff that doesn't work...but could work. I had an old 22" lawn mower that the front wheels literally fell off of. I had a guy pick it up yesterday for free. He needed the engine. I told him the engine smoked and used a bit of oil, but it still worked. I'd rather see someone get some life out of it.

Skier76 said:
Those planes must move with saw engines!

I thought $20 was pretty fair; the saw certainly needed some work. I'd rather sell it quickly at a lower "fair" price than try to rip someone off just so I can make a few more bucks.

HA! I guess there's always a chance of him e-mailing me that he put in a new fuel filter and it runs like a dream. But I have a feeling he'll have to tear into a bit and free up that brake. I really do hope he gets it running though. The saw was in good shape over all. I just hate throwing away stuff that doesn't work...but could work. I had an old 22" lawn mower that the front wheels literally fell off of. I had a guy pick it up yesterday for free. He needed the engine. I told him the engine smoked and used a bit of oil, but it still worked. I'd rather see someone get some life out of it.

Yea, I don't blame you for selling it cheap. I, like a lot of people here (I suspect) just love to tinker with things. I have a 52 cc engine in a 1/3 scale WW One plane that weighs 27 pounds. That has a 9 foot wingspan. It's a fun hobby but unfortunately it's tough to get younger people interested because they have some many other things to do and play with.

My problem with hobbies: Too many, not enough time, not enough money. :lol:

Skier76 said:
My problem with hobbies: Too many, not enough time, not enough money. :lol:

Amen to that. When I retired, I thought I would have all the time in the world for my hobbies but now I don't seem to have any time at all!!!!!!

Well, at least I know I'll still be active trying to participate in all my hobbies in 30-35 years! HA!

Skier76 said:
Well, at least I know I'll still be active trying to participate in all my hobbies in 30-35 years! HA!

I so looked forward to retirement swearing that I would never have a dull day because I had so many hobbies that would keep me busy. As it is, once you are retired, you become so busy with 'stuff' that you have no time for hobbies and wonder how in the world you ever had time to do anything when you were working. It is amazing....

Status
Not open for further replies.