Homemade coal grate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 23, 2005
Anyone ever made a homemade coal grate for a coal stove?
Would big rebar work, or do they have to be cast iron?
--------------------------------------------------------------

Would have to be cast or thick stainless steel.

Better to try and find something made as replacement frame and grate that might fit in. Of course, this assumes that the stove is definitely designed to burn coal. If not, you are in for some frustration.

I'm no expert but I would think you'd want cast iron as it doesn't expand as much as steel. I could be mistaken though.

"Anyone ever made a homemade coal grate for a coal stove?
Would big rebar work, or do they have to be cast iron?"

big rebar works great. perhaps because its a mixture of junk steels it does not warp or burn out. I use 3/4" rebar in my coal stove and it works great. I used rebar in my previous stove as well and was used for many years- grates were still in perfect condition when i took it out of service.

bituminous, anthricite, lignite whatever, the air must go through the grate.

stove is efel and burns pea coal fine. I have another stove, Much Wenlock which burns Nut. I prefer the scratch from below ashh removal method,
and cant realy do it with the efel grate. I would like to try a homemade grate that i make this summer to see if i can use nut and do the scratch from below.
I see some people use rebar, but with Bituminious, I believe it burns cooler than anthricite. Any ideas?

"Do these home-made grates agitate the coal fire??"

yea, somtimes they do, you have to be carefull, don't want to make it too mad.

btw, bituminous does not burn "cooler" than anthricite, in fact it burns hotter and and generally contains more btu's per lb.

Status
Not open for further replies.