Homemade stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mauluser1026

Dec 17, 2020
Jasper
I’ve got a homemade wood stove it’s a box type stove with a 6” flue on it! I feel the box produces way to much heat for flue! Negative draft and flue pipe is cold! Creosote running down pipe! Had a warm morning stove for 30 years with 6” flue! Never ever had problem. It has a baffle plate but removed it! I’m thinking of using firebrick to make inside of box smaller or possibly going to 8x6 increases inside house to promote flow of exhaust! I feel the firebox produces to mich fire for flue to exhaust correctly

I’ve got a homemade wood stove it’s a box type stove with a 6” flue on it! I feel the box produces way to much heat for flue! Negative draft and flue pipe is cold! Creosote running down pipe! Had a warm morning stove for 30 years with 6” flue! Never ever had problem. It has a baffle plate but removed it! I’m thinking of using firebrick to make inside of box smaller or possibly going to 8x6 increases inside house to promote flow of exhaust! I feel the firebox produces to mich fire for flue to exhaust correctly
Is there a question in there somewhere?

Yes can you use firebrick to make box smaller or would a draft inducer be better??
You absolutely don't want a draft inducer. Making the box smaller could help possibly. Or it could do absolutely nothing there is no way for us to know with the info we have

Pics for review

Attachments

• 6C7D04D7-C93F-497D-8345-595DCEEF7967.png
    6C7D04D7-C93F-497D-8345-595DCEEF7967.png
    379.5 KB · Views: 117
Uhh maybe if you cut that firebox size in half it might work on 6" but even that is doubtful. You probably don't have enough air intake either.

Would using increasers 8x6 or reducers help on flue pipe to chimney! Come off stove reduce up and use 8” 26 or 24 gauge single wall to chimney and reduce back down to 6” at inlet to flue! Or worthless

Would using increasers 8x6 or reducers help on flue pipe to chimney! Come off stove reduce up and use 8” 26 or 24 gauge single wall to chimney and reduce back down to 6” at inlet to flue! Or worthless
That won't be beneficial at all. If anything it could make it worse. I really doubt 8" would be big enough for that box

That's a huge firebox, 9.3 cuft based on your dimensions. The biggest stoves I've ever heard of are 4.4cuft, and they all run on an 8" chimney.

Do you have pictures of that beast?

Are you married to that thing? Seems like even a cheap old smoke dragon would be a better starting point.

Consider plonking down the cash for a modern stove... it is a night and day difference from smoke dragons (which is what I grew up with, and what you have there- it's basically any stove with no reburn system).

Couldn't pay me to go back to that- I get more heat for less wood, and my stove burns 24 hours on low. It's crazy!

There is actually a lot of engineering that goes into designing the air flows in an efficient stove, and I doubt you or I could do much better than putting in a baffle and burn tubes wherever they fit and hoping for the best.

If you are getting creosote running down the pipe of the old stove and you are burning hot, the wood may be wet and the flue may be uninsulated. (Pipe may also be installed upside down, but that's the least of your worries there.)

Reactions: Shrewboy
woodchuck 4000 is 9cuft with 8" shelter has one just under 9 cuft with 8" as well both indoor
the woodchuck lives up to its name

woodchuck 4000 is 9cuft with 8" shelter has one just under 9 cuft with 8" as well both indoor
the woodchuck lives up to its name
Yes but aren't they both forced combustion?

So they are a completely irrelevant comparison

I got a buddy that has a "lil house wood heater". Its a 7.5cf outdoor wood furnace. I see a lot of them down here cause they are local. I won't knock them cause I see some upsides to them but wood efficiency is not one of them.

Reactions: bholler
So they are a completely irrelevant comparison
Good point
my 2900 is 7.7 and very hard to start with out the draft blower

Can you post a picture of the stove and stove pipe?