homeowner installing wood stove in shop/office, advice wanted

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

derrickito

Jan 18, 2021
seattle
Hi everyone. Homeowner here exploring options for self installing wood stove in my basement garage (shop/office space, no vehicles or fuels). here are some pics of what i'm starting with:

20210118_144434.jpg

20210118_122907.jpg

20210118_122917.jpg

I'm ripping my garage existing interior down and rebuilding my into a shop/office space. I pulled down a large old vent for a long gone oil furnace, the clay lined chimney for that vent went up through the chimney flue dedicated for that appliance, no other devices use this hole, now sitting unused. i ripped out all the brick surround and am now left with what is in the pictures below. This clay flue angles up to the chimney.

My plan is to reline the chimney with a single wall stainless 6" reliner kit. I'll be rebuilding the walls in front of this open chimney hole with rigid foam insulation then a 2x4 framed wall with drywall over it. I'd like to frame this out to accept a pass through and connect a wood stove up that relined chimney and run a wood stove in the basement. Unsure of which stove I'll end up with yet. Probably something smaller like a rais qtee II with base.

I want to make sure what I'm thinking of doing is safe and the correct way to go about it.

I'm looking at either a 30 degree pass through like this https://www.stove-parts.net/Ventis-6-inch-Classs-A-30-Degree-Wall-Pass-Thru-p/va-wpt0630.htm or just a regular pass through horizontal something like this https://www.onlinestores.com/6-duraliner-wall-pass-through-6dlr-wpt-6052.html . The stove front connected to double wall stove pipe, going through the pass thru, then the double wall pipe connecting to the single wall reliner kit behind the wall.

Am I thinking about this correct? Am I safe connecting after the pass through to the reliner kit (not super deep, and no room for a T unless I take out the angled clay liner and knock out some of the lower bricks) or do I need solid pipe all the way up the chimney?

The chimney is brick on the outside and completely clay lined, no wood framing in there, just wood framing going up in front of this opening to hold drywall

Any input on my plan is appreciated. I'm competent enough with remodeling but have never done a DIY install of a stove before and want to make sure I'm as safe as can be. I appreciate comments and help from people that know this topic!

Thanks!
Derrick