Homesaver UltraPro preinsulated flex liner install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

browneyesvictim

Nov 9, 2015
Creswell, OR
I'm updating my wood burning fireplace with an EPA insert and getting ready to install a liner. I have purchased the Homesaver UltraPro preinsulated flex liner from a local dealer and getting ready to install it. I really am impressed with the quality of this liner! I like that there's no wrapping to do and has a hard jacket around the insulation. I have a question for those that are familiar with this liner brand/make- What do you use to secure the outer aluminum jacket and insulation on to the inner ss flex pipe? I'm running it continuously from the stove collar to the vent cap (just short of 15 feet). Is high temp foil tape at the top and bottom ok or should it be clamped? It came wrapped at the ends with what looks like orange duct tape, but I would like to assume its some sort of special high temp silicone tape. Perhaps that type of tape is better suited than foil tape? Do I even need to secure it? Their website is useless for homeowners as they only allow access to any of their information to dealers.

I have my fireplace prepared by cutting out the damper and removing the top row of bricks. I had to replace the crown and the chimney is all clean inspected and ready to go...

That liner you bought is not UL listed and is "UL" pending. Which means they probably sent it to UL and it didn't pass. Getting the UL listing is usually quick and the liner manufacturers tend to have that in place prior to offering the product for sale. The tape they use on the ends needs to be discarded. It's not high temp. In fact there is no such thing as high temp tape that meets the UL requirements for 1777 or 103. If you need to use the foil tape use as little as humanly possible. Wrapping the flex with foil blanket and mesh is a little more work but at least you know the system is a true UL listed product and has proven to hold up to 2100 degrees F for at least 10 minutes. If it's going in my chimney I am making sure it can hold up.

That liner you bought is not UL listed and is "UL" pending. Which means they probably sent it to UL and it didn't pass. Getting the UL listing is usually quick and the liner manufacturers tend to have that in place prior to offering the product for sale. The tape they use on the ends needs to be discarded. It's not high temp. In fact there is no such thing as high temp tape that meets the UL requirements for 1777 or 103. If you need to use the foil tape use as little as humanly possible. Wrapping the flex with foil blanket and mesh is a little more work but at least you know the system is a true UL listed product and has proven to hold up to 2100 degrees F for at least 10 minutes. If it's going in my chimney I am making sure it can hold up.

Ug!!! Obviously not what I wanted to hear, but I appreciate the info. After hours and hours of reading and educating myself on NFPA 211 and UL code I never gave a second thought to question what a "qualified" dealer spec'ed out and recommended. Perhaps it is just because it is a new product? I cant possibly imagine why it wouldn't meet or exceed the tried and true foil blanket and mesh method. Even the foil tape is used on the wrapping and mesh method! That's why I jumped on it and willing to pay a bit more- because the wrapping and mesh seems more light weight and fragile and its still single wall! The design and materials of this stuff seem superior to me, but Ill leave that to the laboratory engineers. I would have gone the rigid double wall Duravent or such route but that still leaves at least one joint and short section of flex/wrap. Having one continuous run of pipe and the benefit of double wall is the best of both worlds in my mind. It's not my intent to advocate for the product, its just my observations. I didn't want to use any tape at all if I can avoid it. Clamps seem a better choice, but that's why I'm asking the question.

The pre-insulated flex is easier to install and many liner manufacturers can make it. I'm not sure of anyone who offers a UL listed pre-insulated. It may exist but from what I know the blanket in between the walls is a different density and may prove to be a difficult task to pass the 1777 code requirements. I looked at a couple of the other manufacturer's websites and didn't see any of them claiming their pre-insulated was UL listed. You mentioned the Duravent class A system. Many manufacturer's make that as well and they are all UL listed. However those systems are designed to go outside the house, not necessarily inside a chimney... You can use tape just use as little as needed. Don't go overkill with it. The adhesive is flammable.

Ug!!! Obviously not what I wanted to hear, but I appreciate the info. After hours and hours of reading and educating myself on NFPA 211 and UL code I never gave a second thought to question what a "qualified" dealer spec'ed out and recommended. Perhaps it is just because it is a new product? I cant possibly imagine why it wouldn't meet or exceed the tried and true foil blanket and mesh method. Even the foil tape is used on the wrapping and mesh method! That's why I jumped on it and willing to pay a bit more- because the wrapping and mesh seems more light weight and fragile and its still single wall! The design and materials of this stuff seem superior to me, but Ill leave that to the laboratory engineers. I would have gone the rigid double wall Duravent or such route but that still leaves at least one joint and short section of flex/wrap. Having one continuous run of pipe and the benefit of double wall is the best of both worlds in my mind. It's not my intent to advocate for the product, its just my observations. I didn't want to use any tape at all if I can avoid it. Clamps seem a better choice, but that's why I'm asking the question.

Rest. The Ultra Pro pre-insulated is awaiting its UL listing. It will be just fine.

I looked on their website but didn't see anything that said it was. It may be, I'm just not going to tell someone it is when I'm not sure.

"The Forever Flex™ System is UL and ULC Certified by Underwriters Laboratories."

I looked on their website but didn't see anything that said it was. It may be, I'm just not going to tell someone it is when I'm not sure.

Then wait until you are sure one way or the other before giving advice.

Reactions: bholler
So... what does this UL Pending status mean to the county inspector in the permitting process?

Getting there... This little test fit told me I have a little more clearance trimming near the throat for it to fit.
upload_2015-11-11_7-40-14.png

Status
Not open for further replies.