Homesteaders on youtube with chimney through wood paneling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

St. Coemgen

Feeling the Heat
Feb 4, 2016
Hungary
www.stcoemgen.com
Is that what I think it is in the background -- a stove chimney pipe right through the wood paneling? I thought even insulated pipe has appropriate distances and proper fittings to go through a wood paneling like that. Or am I wrong and missing something?

This stuff cracks me up. If you are a "home steader" attempting to live "off the grid" and live a life secluded from the rest of the modern world then why are you making 20 minute videos using electronics and posting these videos on social media type websites for the world to see?

And yes I sure does look like the stove pipe goes right through the wood paneling.

Reactions: whynotoils
Is that what I think it is in the background -- a stove chimney pipe right through the wood paneling? I thought even insulated pipe has appropriate distances and proper fittings to go through a wood paneling like that. Or am I wrong and missing something?

For piece of mind, I’d send them a comment through their video with your concerns. Seems like a reasonable thing to do.

They will be plenty warm for a couple of hours, on the day their house burns down.

Reactions: blacktail
I’ve seen lots of no clearance installs that have been in use for 20 or more year with no problems. Unfortunately, there’s no “symptoms” of a problem in this instance. One day, the house is on fire! Not much can be done then...

I’ve seen lots of no clearance installs that have been in use for 20 or more year with no problems. Unfortunately, there’s no “symptoms” of a problem in this instance. One day, the house is on fire! Not much can be done then...
I agree, even with class a metal pipe under normal burning conditions the outside of the pipe just gets warm to the touch, so you may not have any issues for 20 years, but bam, just like that you have a chimney fire and the inside of the pipe which is normally 450 - 600 deg runs up to 1800 deg from burning creosote and now the outside pipe is 800 deg and through conduction the combustibles nearby catch.
The other day I went on a legit chimney fire call, the setup was within all clearances, 8" single wall to class a through the wall and then up the outside of the house, that class a outside was red hot to the touch and discolored slightly at the 30 deg elbow where the creosote was burning, nothing happened to the house though because all the required clearances were met.

Reactions: Woody5506
I watched some of their videos. They built a rocket mass heater. the fire is exhausted into a barrel, then through 20 feet of stove pipe embedded in a mass of rock and clay/sand mixture, and then up the chimney. I guess they figured that since the fire is only lit for four hours with small splits and the exhaust is circulated through the barrel and stove pipe that the temps will be safe. He did say he used a class A double wall chimney and chimney box.
But like kennyp2339 said, that wood ceiling could be heated up by creosote burning in the system. I left a comment.

Last edited:
This stuff cracks me up. If you are a "home steader" attempting to live "off the grid" and live a life secluded from the rest of the modern world then why are you making 20 minute videos using electronics and posting these videos on social media type websites for the world to see?

Because they are hipsters.

Attachments

• IMG_2460.jpg
    IMG_2460.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 125
they said It's not a chimney It's the center of the steel spiral staircase.

they said It's not a chimney It's the center of the steel spiral staircase.

Hm. If they say so. But then that is then the thickest spiral staircase post in existence. :eek:

And spiral staircase posts do not need to go into the ceiling like that.

Last edited:
Hm. If they say so. But then that is then the thickest spiral staircase post in existence. :eek:

And spiral staircase posts do not need to go into the ceiling like that.
Stairway to Heaven?

Looking at their other videos I can see that there is a center spiral staircase with a big black center pipe. Perhaps it's anchored to the roof rafters above the ceiling wood paneling.

It sounds like the option is to heat the place with hot water radiant floors in the future, but now they heat with a rocket stove. Staircase build starts around 10:55. Rocket mass heater starts at 14:00 but no details on chimney. They typically fire the rocket heater at night, once a day.

Last edited: