Homewood Furnace Issue - Vent arm came off track?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vtelfgirl

Mar 6, 2014
Vermont
Hello everyone!

I'm so glad to know this exists to help folks like me! I have several questions to post (will do separately) - this being the first.

I've been staying with a friend this winter while building my small house (questions to come for that). She has the Homewood Furnace like what has been posted before (not sure if it ever had the motor though) and darned if the vent or baffle arm (?) didn't come out of the hole this morning! Thankfully, the vent/baffle was mostly open, so I didn't get smoked out. Anyway, my friend is away and can't see or help fix the problem. We spoke, but she says it doesn't sound like the problem she had a few years ago, so she doesn't know whether it's a minor or major issue.

I can see at the end of the arm a hole that must fit over a post or into something - but I can't seem to connect it to anything. There are 2 different sized posts in the hole that I thought it would fit over - but then realized they were the guides for the track that the arm fits into. But, I can't feel around for whatever it might connect to to work properly.

Has anyone else had this happen? Does anyone know how the arm might fit back in or if it is, in fact, broken? It didn't feel like anything broke when I pulled it out - it just came out - but it had been working til then (but wasn't tight fitting to begin with). Vent Arm.jpg Hole left by missing arm.jpg .

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Wendy

Status
Not open for further replies.