Honey Bear Insert II, III and III-S Manual Needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jjbyerts

Aug 19, 2017
Pa
Hi! I have what I believe is a fisher insert honey bear II??? I've been trying to find a manual specific for my stove an can not! Can anyone one help identify which manual I should be using? I also noticed that the trim around the doors seem to be different. Maybe one is faded??

Attachments

• IMG_0586.JPG
    IMG_0586.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 495
  • IMG_0592.JPG
    IMG_0592.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 474
  • IMG_0596.JPG
    IMG_0596.JPG
    145.1 KB · Views: 444
I gave you your own thread in case anyone has a manual they may find your post. You posted in a New Zealand specific thread. They use completely different manuals.

Can't tell the model size by the picture. Does yours have only 4 bricks across the back?
It has "IV" style doors. (They use gasket material on doors instead of in the door seal channel on front face like a III. Yours won't have door seal channel on Insert front).
I've seen one other like yours sold in Ohio years ago. That was Black not Brown Metallic with the same tag. Not sure what the II was, (so you're probably right that it's a II) The III has smaller glass with door gasket on stove instead of on door and the S designates Solid doors with draft cap intakes through doors. Could be the door style later became the more common IV on the full size Inserts. The models started out with just the Bear name and later versions used the Roman Numerals making the II the second version of the Honey Bear Insert. The strange thing is the III doors existed first on the full size models. The glass was tiny on Honey bear doors so the larger IV opening was a welcome improvement.

Here's a III in Metallic Brown;

Honey Bear Insert.jpg

Here's what I believe is your model (if it is 4 bricks wide) in black from Ohio;

Honey Bear insert Ohio 1.jpg Honey Bear Insert Ohio 2.jpg Honey Bear Insert Ohio 3.jpg Honey Bear Insert Ohio 4.jpg

The manuals uploaded are from years of collecting the stoves and literature. That is one I've never procured to be able to scan and upload. If you ever see one on craigslist, you can only reply to the seller to see if they will scan or copy one for you. Watch eBay as well and ask the seller if one is shown with the Insert.
I've been watching since November 2010 when I found that one in Ohio with no luck.

The entire door is plated.
Only clean the polished portion with metal polish for precious metals such as gold, silver, brass, nickel..... such as Maas metal polish that leaves a protective coating. Never use anything abrasive.

Thanks coaly! yes my stove has 4 bricks across the back. So what I have here is a rare stove? A question I was hoping to find the answer to in the manual was the heating square footage? Also do you think this stove would would well with a 6" stainless exhaust?? The original exhaust size measured 7" but was not connected to a liner, just used flue lined chimney.

Last edited:
Heats up to 1200 square foot as per the "Wood Heater Leader" poster. I've never seen a brochure showing one.
Only shown in Fisher literature with solid or III style glass doors.

wood heater leader.JPG Top center. This was prior to the IV style doors you have. Should be the same heating capacity.

Yes, I would recommend the 6 inch stainless flue as long as it is insulated. The firebox is well within the 6 inch range and these units were originally designed for larger existing flues, so Inserts were built with larger outlets to allow more heat loss up the flue keeping larger areas hotter and cleaner. Obviously this hurts efficiency, but if they built them for an efficient chimney there would be many with problems connecting to the larger flues built for a fireplace. (exactly what happened when a freestanding 6 inch stove was plumbed into a large existing chimney) At the time, any manufacturer that would have insisted on the customer needing to reduce their chimney with an expensive liner would have lost sales since there were many to choose from with larger outlets that would heat their larger flue. (plus the cost of wood was so cheap, efficiency wasn't a top priority) With the advent of secondary combustion requiring a smaller 6 inch flue, all manufacturers were forced to require 6 inch liners making it acceptable to force the customer into an expensive liner if they wanted a newer stove.

Thanks for all the help. I reached out the previous owner of the stove . Turns out they had the original owners manual along with a few other things. If you would like I can email you a copy when I get around to scanning it into my computer?

That would be great. This is how I've been able to share the manuals so far with many that needed them!
[email protected]

Thanks for all the help. I reached out the previous owner of the stove . Turns out they had the original owners manual along with a few other things. If you would like I can email you a copy when I get around to scanning it into my computer?
Hi, I know this is an old post, I gave acquired a honey heat III I believe, also on the hunt for a manual. If you could send me a copy I sure would appreciate. [email protected]