Q&A Hook Hot water to Freestanding stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have a Vermont Castings Defiant Encore woodstove in my living room and a hydronic baseboard heating system throughout my house. The pipe I cut behind the stove seems to be "screaming" to somehow be warmed by the heat there, I have scanned through some of the letters and information on your site and related links and noticed a negative trend toward what I' scheeming. Therefor I ask anyway; is there any way to harness any of the heat from the back of my stove and transfer it to the water in my baseboard? Even a small amount just to circulate warm water. I know that coils that are in stoves are pretty much out of the question since I'm not about to modify a $2000+ stove and ruin the air tightness anyway. Any input on this subject is greatly appreciated, and keep in mind I made my own log-splitter so I'm not afraid of trying innovative approaches.

Answer:

I'll keep it short and sweet, because a long answer will not help in this case. It is not worth doing because the amount of BTU's you could get in to the water will not be enough to do much anything. You would not want to modify such a nice stove for this small result.

Status
Not open for further replies.