Hook up thermostat to stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hatepropane

Nov 9, 2014
Scottville, MI
I have a United States stove company 5502m king stove and am wondering if hooking it up to a thermostat is a good idea? Will it make it more efficient?

It will better regulate house temperature so you don't burn more pellets than necessary.

I am unfamiliar with your particular stove. Im sure someone will chime in who knows.

How do I hook it up? Is there a switch that needs to let the stove know it's hooked up to the tstat
PM that "owen" guy from the thread you started about glass being dirty. He's a US Stove rep.

I have a St Croix. My stove has 2 wire terminals in the back that the thermostat connects to. My stove also has a t stat setting on the main panel.

I do not believe it will accept a tstat,but check your manual,it will be in there.
Look at the back of your control panel. There should be a 2 tabs of some sort there. might, most likely be a jumper wire across them. The 2 wires from your thermostat go on those. If not you are out of luck.

It will save you big, just do it and don't look back. ust mind where you locate it in relation to the rooms relation to adjacent rooms in the house. It might benefit you to just try it in a coupe locations using a long length of wire to see what works best before you hard wire it. The only thing to watch is whether the stat you use is MILLIVOLT or regular 24 like most of them seem to be. If you hook a regular voltage stat up to a millivolt model it just won't work at all. You can get all of them off the net fairly cheap.

Reactions: Bill L
On the back of the board there is a spot that says T-STAT. you'll see two posts, the wires to the millivolt thermostat connect to each of those posts. In between the two posts there is a black "jumper", it's a little square black plastic piece. that jumper needs to be removed, that is how the stove will know it has a thermostat hooked to it. Keep the jumper in case you ever want to disconnect the thermostat. set the hr to what you want....when the stat calls for heat the stove will ramp up to that setting.....when the stat kicks off the stove will ramp back down to HR1.

Get a wireless thermostat and save yourself the work of running a wire.

On the back of the board there is a spot that says T-STAT. you'll see two posts, the wires to the millivolt thermostat connect to each of those posts. In between the two posts there is a black "jumper", it's a little square black plastic piece. that jumper needs to be removed, that is how the stove will know it has a thermostat hooked to it. Keep the jumper in case you ever want to disconnect the thermostat. set the hr to what you want....when the stat calls for heat the stove will ramp up to that setting.....when the stat kicks off the stove will ramp back down to HR1.

It occurred to me while I was installing my thermostat.. does it matter which wire goes to which t-stat terminal on the stove?

It occurred to me while I was installing my thermostat.. does it matter which wire goes to which t-stat terminal on the stove?

I asked that question when I was hooking up my St. Croix and the answer was no, it does not matter.

Reactions: TimfromMA
Status
Not open for further replies.