Hopper extender for Englander PDV 25

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sam08861

Jan 30, 2019
NW NJ
Thinking about getting one of these...

Amazon product ASIN B005P9U3MG
... in order to get some more 'run time' before refill on an Englander pdv-25 manufactured in 2018.

Second season with the stove and just took delivery of 2 tons of greene team platinum yesterday, now stacked in my garage.

Questions for those who may have experience with this hopper or another, or just this stove's performance, in general:

1. Would the 3 1/2 bags it holds be too much ash buildup, if I were to let it run? (ie. losing any efficiency, etc?)

I've run 2 1/2 bags before, but do get some good size birds nests in the burn pot. Reduced the settings to 1/2/1 and running at 2/9 now for the past 12 hrs or so, and 2700 sf house is at 69 degrees with an outside temp of ~25 F. Not sure if any of that has any bearing on ash or 'bird's nest' production. Once this load finishes, I'll be able to see the buildup. Can't see through the window right now, as it's covered in a white ash. (I guess this is an improvement over last year's green supremes, which covered the glass in a black soot. Seems to light better, and I'll see if there's less clinkers, shortly at these new settings)

2. Any safety concerns? Looks like the kill switch for the hopper lid has a tab provisioned, but the installation is via bent tabs. I'll likely supplement with self tapping screws.

3. Any direct experiences with this or any other hopper and it's nuances appreciated.

Appreciate any advice/feedback!

Watching this to. I have been pondering one of these myself. Ash buildup is not and issue for me anymore but when I have it cranked up I am afraid that I will run out of pellets if I have to work late. Curious if anyone has tried one.

Looking into it more, doesn't seem to be UL rated, so also wondering if this is a liability were something to happen, from a homeowners insurance perspective.

Perhaps a gray area, where it's probably OK from a physics/logical perspective, but, wisely, no one would be willing to condone moving ahead, because of the lack of testing/certification.

Since I'm still in warranty and my township laws are 'per manufacturer' on installs, I'll likely not pursue, unless I can get the company to support this in writing. I'm thinking that's unlikely, as I, myself, wouldn't take the risk with someone else's product, unless it was certified in some trustworthy way and wouldn't expect any sane company to do that either.

Last edited:
I concur with your logic. only because Englander's hopper system is a sealed system,for the prevention of a hopper fire.

But if you use the factory lid and gaskets would it not still be a sealed system?

yes,but not as designed and thats what will bite ya with insurance co's

Reactions: Pellet rick