Hopper Feed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bill... said:
AwsumSS - Out of curiosity does your Quad have two augers? My understanding (be it limited:) on the 25-PDVC hopper is that it is under vacuum, with the lid open allows the air to be drawn in threw it and also IMHO would increase the chance for a backfire in the augers to it. But Yes it will be interesting when JTP chimes in.

dowingtonPA - One other thing that could be causing what seems to be a problem with feed. On your stove you have a heat and blower settings, the blower needs to be set to at least the same as the heat or higher, ie Heat on 4, blower on 6. I'm thinking that maybe your blower is too low then allowing it to overheat, then stopping the upper auger until it cools down a bit, then repeating. This I believe would hinder the feed of pellets somewhat.

No bill.....my stove has one auger

stoveguy2esw said:
as for the gasket thing , the concensus is right in most cases, there are vacuum issues, also in bottom feeders like the ESW and harmon units , the fuel feeds directly in , so the fuel feed system is sealed so that in event of power outage or malfunction , the fire would not be drawn back through the feed system. an open hopper would greatly increase the possibility of this. top feeders while they can still suffer this effect are a bit less apt to due to the distance from the auger to the fire, in the right conditions however it can still happen due to leakage in other areas, this is why , no matter what type of feed system or who built it , good gasket maintenance is a must with all pellet stoves.

So mike...I'm having a hopper extension fabricated for my Castille....which is not a sealed hopper. But when I get the hopper extension back and fit it on(going to have a cover on the extension too)...probably would be a bad idea to have some type of seal on it, including on the cover too? Thanks.

Sorry I was unable to get back here for a while. Mike I will try to adjust that plate, I was under the impression it was fixed and not adjustable. It was my feeling all along that if I could open that up it would fix everything. There are still a few things I would like to ask anyway so I will call soon.
I will try that for now and get back.

Thanks everyone for everything.

ok. so I just went down there, emptied the hopper and took a look the plate and, I could be wrong but it sure looks like it is fixed and immovable. I didn't see a screw anywhere and it looks like there is a bead of weld across the end of the plate where it meets the hopper. I am tempted to just take a vice clamp and bend that thing open, but since this is my landlords unit I will try some other suggestions first.

downingtownPA said:
ok. so I just went down there, emptied the hopper and took a look the plate and, I could be wrong but it sure looks like it is fixed and immovable. I didn't see a screw anywhere and it looks like there is a bead of weld across the end of the plate where it meets the hopper. I am tempted to just take a vice clamp and bend that thing open, but since this is my landlords unit I will try some other suggestions first.

Yes... good to try something else, wouldn't want to make your landlord unhappy.

By your description it seem the plate is missing.... do you see a screw hole? Really your best bet is to talk to Mike, and in the mean time check out the trouble shooting flow on Englander's web site, along with downloading the manuel for it.

Bill... said:
Yes... good to try something else, wouldn't want to make your landlord unhappy.

By your description it seem the plate is missing.... do you see a screw hole? Really your best bet is to talk to Mike, and in the mean time check out the trouble shooting flow on Englander's web site, along with downloading the manuel for it.

I have the manual but there is not very much in there about this issue. I am assuming that this model has a fixed plate cause it does not seem like anything is missing and I don't see a hole where the screw would have gone.

Hi,
I have a NPI40 that I purchesed from zoobler. It stopped working a few weeks ago. The pellets won't drop into the pot. I removed all pellets and cleaned out where the pellets are place in. I couldn't find anything that was blocking the pellets. I have always kept the stove clean with my ash vacuum cleaner. The light goes on indicating that it "thinks" that pellets are dropping but they don't drop.

I tried to find someone to come fix it but no one will come to my house. I don't live near any pellet repair places.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can get the pellets to drop?

Thanks, Wally

Wally,

Try resetting the over fire (high temp) snap disc.

Also if that doesn't take care of the issue try starting a new thread with the name of your stove and wording will not feed.

There are also vacuum switches that may need to be checked and tubing the needs to be cleaned.

I don't have any information on your stove so other than that I currently can't be of much help.

Good luck.

man you guys complain about slow feed rate.. wish i could slow mine down......on setting 1 my house is 85-90 deg. anyway to slow it down lol..my stove is an ashley?

Status
Not open for further replies.