Hopper fire - 2 in a week

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

adrock430

Nov 22, 2019
Boston
Hi,
I've been using a pellet stove for 10 years now, recently replaced a hearth focus 6039 to a 6041. Brand new unit using existing install (4" exhaust, fresh air intake, etc.) Never had an issue with the 6039. Now I've had two hopper fires in a week. The auger design is much different than the 6039, shorter auger. I don't understand what is happening. The unit is obviously clean, as it is brand new (i've put through maybe 12 bags), and the chimney is clean. Any insight here?
Thank you, Adam

I can't see how the fire gets up the chute, down the auger into the hopper without a serious draft taking it there. has there been a miss fire and maybe a hot pot of pellets dumped back into the hopper.. I have seen 1 in a whitfield that was a blower failure and a hopper lid not sealed and it wrecked the stove never to be used again.