Horizonal run question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hizelks

Nov 21, 2016
Rogers, MN
What is a acceptable distance to run stove pipe and class A pipe before going up? I'm looking to avoid having to cut into one section of garage roof and then part of the house roof that overhangs it.

I'm running my wood burning stove pipe from my basement horizontally into the garage and then up ~20ft from there. I'm hoping to run it maybe 5 feet class A into the garage so I can clear a section on roof that overhangs my garage roof. Plus there would already be about 2 feet of stove pipe inside the house. Is a ~7 foot horizontal run detrimental for the draft? I might even consider putting in an offset as well.

My stove is a Pleasant Hearth 2200 if it matters.

Thanks!

What is a acceptable distance to run stove pipe and class A pipe before going up? I'm looking to avoid having to cut into one section of garage roof and then part of the house roof that overhangs it.

I'm running my wood burning stove pipe from my basement horizontally into the garage and then up ~20ft from there. I'm hoping to run it maybe 5 feet class A into the garage so I can clear a section on roof that overhangs my garage roof. Plus there would already be about 2 feet of stove pipe inside the house. Is a ~7 foot horizontal run detrimental for the draft? I might even consider putting in an offset as well.

My stove is a Pleasant Hearth 2200 if it matters.

Thanks!

Can you run it at a 45 degree angle instead of pure horizantal? I think you would develop serious draft problems otherwise.

Is there any possibility of going straight up to avoid this? It will be a lot less expensive and will perfom much better. 7ft horizontal would be seriously detrimental to draft. How tall will the chimney be after the tee in the garage?

Only 30º and 15º elbows are made for class A. Maybe do a 30º offset for that 5 ft run so that it's mostly pitched uphill? Also, consider making the vertical run off the stove with a pair of 45º elbows instead of up and then to a 90º. Something like this.
two 45s for flue connect.jpg
But going straight up would be sooooo much better.

Is there any possibility of going straight up to avoid this? It will be a lot less expensive and will perfom much better. 7ft horizontal would be seriously detrimental to draft. How tall will the chimney be after the tee in the garage?

Only 30º and 15º elbows are made for class A. Maybe do a 30º offset for that 5 ft run so that it's mostly pitched uphill? Also, consider making the vertical run off the stove with a pair of 45º elbows instead of up and then to a 90º. Something like this.
View attachment 190905
But going straight up would be sooooo much better.

You drew a picture of what I was thinking.

Straight up would go right into the center piece area of our living room so that isn't an option. I see with the SuperVent specs they allow the 30 degree offset to combine 24" and 30" lengths. Maybe I can give that a shot. Looks like framing around an offset could be a pain. Offset then straight run up I assume?

Status
Not open for further replies.