Horizontal limits for Chimney Pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KinneDad7

Sep 18, 2018
Mid Michigan
Hearth.com Good Day!

I purchased a home 4 years ago. The previous owner has a pellet stove in the basement that ran into a chimney "pipe" that consisted of 3 pipes. 1st was ~ 8" (Stainless), 2nd was 10" (Galvanized) and 3rd was 14" (Galvanized). . . .

Due to housing renovations the stove needed to be removed.

I now plan on reinstalling the chimney for a wood burner in the basement. One issue that I have is the main floor is on architectural beams on 24" centers that coupled with the first floor foot print the chimney is 6' to 8' from the stove.

What are the horizontal limits for a chimney? What should the draft angle be for the horizontal section? 1 inch per foot? . . .thanks

The horizontal section should be as short as possible. It should be pitched upward at least at 1/4" per ft. Sometimes instead of going up to a 90 and then horizontal one can instead go up to a 45 then diagonal to another 45 at the thimble or with a very short horiz. section. Pictures are welcome. They can help us see what you are seeing.

Hearth.com Good Day!

I purchased a home 4 years ago. The previous owner has a pellet stove in the basement that ran into a chimney "pipe" that consisted of 3 pipes. 1st was ~ 8" (Stainless), 2nd was 10" (Galvanized) and 3rd was 14" (Galvanized). . . .

Due to housing renovations the stove needed to be removed.

I now plan on reinstalling the chimney for a wood burner in the basement. One issue that I have is the main floor is on architectural beams on 24" centers that coupled with the first floor foot print the chimney is 6' to 8' from the stove.

What are the horizontal limits for a chimney? What should the draft angle be for the horizontal section? 1 inch per foot? . . .thanks
Are you planning on resusing the old air cooled chimney? Most are not rated to a high enough temperature to be suitable for a wood stove. Not to mention the performance of an air cooled chimney will not be very good compared to an insulated one.