Hot Chimney Pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JWE

Nov 23, 2022
Southern Illinois
Hello all,

When running your stove hot, how warm should class A double wall chimney pipe get? My chimney pipe (DuraTech) that runs through the attic is not just warm but hot to the touch. Is this normal? All the clearances are met, but it still makes me nervous. Especially since the pipe is advertised as being cool to the touch when in operation. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

How hot is "hot"? What are your flue temps?

Before I enclosed my class A in the Northwoods I noticed it would get fairly hot. Touchable, but couldn't hold my hand on it. Holding my hand 1" away I could feel a little heat emanating from it, but 2" away (clearance to combustibles) I could hardly feel any warmth...

How hot is "hot"? What are your flue temps?

Before I enclosed my class A in the Northwoods I noticed it would get fairly hot. Touchable, but couldn't hold my hand on it. Holding my hand 1" away I could feel a little heat emanating from it, but 2" away (clearance to combustibles) I could hardly feel any warmth...
That is the exact situation of my pipe. Hot to the touch, but just a little warm at the two inch clearance. This is my first stove and I’m just not sure how it should be, and I was told it should be cool to the touch. I have ordered a probe flu thermometer to check my flu temps. Thanks for your input!

Install in the stovepipe "black" 18-24" above the stove. Installing in the class A chimney pipe "enclosed silver" will void the UL rating.

I love my flue probe in the stovepipe at home. Wish I could put one in the chimney pipe for the "ZC" fireplace in the Northwoods, but alas...

Reactions: JWE
Class A will get hot to the touch, especially if the flue gases are very hot (>800º). I'll try to remember to test this at some point, but a guess would be reading around 130º with a 600º flue gas temp.

Reactions: JWE