Hot water heat from your woodstove...hot rod water heater

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phishheadmi

Oct 1, 2008
Northern MI
I remember seeing some threads on here about using your woodstove to pre-heat or temper hot water before it goes into the hot water heater. I've also thought about running a loop from the stove into a radiator in the basement or garage for a little extra heat in the hard to reach zones. I knew when I was reading those threads that I had seen something like this before, but was unable to find it...anyway, here's a link to what appears to be a pretty handy little gadget...anyone used one of these before? thoughts?

http://www.yukon-eagle.com/FURNACES/THEHOTRODWATERHEATER/tabid/61/Default.aspx

It should work ok, but full attention should be paid to the warnings. A steam explosion can have incredible force:

This system should be installed by a licensed plumber.
1. SAFETY
CAUTION

Heated water in an enclosed system can be very
dangerous if the proper steps are not taken to ensure
safety. The biggest danger is an explosion. There are two
ways to cause an explosion:
1. Shutting off the supply pipes to the probe. Isolating the
probe from its relief valve with even a small amount of water
present will cause an almost instant explosion as soon as the
probe is heated above the boiling point.
2. Interrupting the supply of water to the probe while a fire is
going will cause the probe to overheat and exhaust all of its
water through the relief valve. Once the probe is dry it will
become super-heated. If water is then allowed to enter the
system it will instantly vaporize, exceeding the capacity of the
relief valve, and the system may explode.

Here’s 118b I just rebuilt with a 40gal preheat tank 4" away. I only started experimenting last night with the system because I could only run it when the little lady wasn’t home because of the paint smell, the smell is now gone. I have 75lb relief valve behind the temperature gauge.
Ran it last from 5:30 last to night 6:00 this morning and just fired it a little while ago.
The water temp was 96 this morning when I left for work and 82 when I got home.

Attachments

• P1010002-2.JPG
    P1010002-2.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 776
Back in the 70's during the oil crunch my dad "rigged" a water circulation system between the woodstove and the water heater. He used soft copper lines that ran behind the stove kind of like a radiator as well as a few coils in the stack. It constantly circulated water and actually worked though i'm sure it's heat reclaming wasn't too good...that and the fact that the coils in the stack got goobered up with creosote.

Unlike my dad and the othes have said above, steam is powerful stuff so get it done right if you are going to do it.

neverrude said:
Here’s 118b I just rebuilt with a 40gal preheat tank 4" away. I only started experimenting last night with the system because I could only run it when the little lady wasn’t home because of the paint smell, the smell is now gone. I have 75lb relief valve behind the temperature gauge.
Ran it last from 5:30 last to night 6:00 this morning and just fired it a little while ago.

Neverrude in NJ,

A real sweet setup! With a Jotul too. Nice job, and very smart keeping the wife away during the launch!

Jealous in NY!

Valhalla said:
neverrude said:

Neverrude in NJ,

A real sweet setup! With a Jotul too. Nice job, and very smart keeping the wife away during the launch!

Jealous in NY!

Thanks Valhalla

The rear heat shield came out off the floor of tractor trailer . It was too heavy to use in a break to bend so I took it up to neighbors and we used a couple of 6"x6"s and the down pressure on his loader bucket to get the bend. :coolsmile:

While looking closer:

The chimney goes out the basement window or a chase? And to where?

The chimney pipe is what type?

Ceiling clearances are OK?

Heat safely.

Valhalla said:
While looking closer:

The chimney goes out the basement window or a chase? And to where?

The chimney pipe is what type?

Ceiling clearances are OK?

Heat safely.
]

What looks like a window is the flue my oil burner use to use. The chimney is in the center of the house.
I converted to NG high efficiency burner that now vents out the side of the house.

Ceiling clearance is with in spec and no problem. I have a dial thermometer mounted there and as a back up to my gauges and thermometers I have Cole Parmer Infrared Thermometer as a double check.
Thanks for the safety question. Before anyone evens a light a match they should get the advice of expert and triple check their specs.

The inlet temp is 53 on the pre tank and this morning the outlet feed to the water heater was 106. :)

Attachments

• 22222.JPG
    22222.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 425
Take another look at the system that I have and you’ll see there is absolutely no way to compare the video to what I have. I guess the Master Plumber who did the install didn’t know what he was doing! :smirk:

neverrude said:
Take another look at the system that I have and you’ll see there is absolutely no way to compare the video to what I have. I guess the Master Plumber who did the install didn’t know what he was doing! :smirk:

Read my post thoughtfully , where is it even implied that your installation was defective?

The warning was general.

It is for those that are prone to take "short-cuts" & or do not fully understand why they must comply with plumbing codes.

The video shows the potential bomb that can result.

Dave_1 said:
neverrude said:

Read my post thoughtfully , where is it even implied that your installation was defective?

The warning was general.

It is for those that are prone to take "short-cuts" & or do not fully understand why they must comply with plumbing codes.

The video shows the potential bomb that can result.

Your post was directly below and you made no mention of what of install you were referring to which lead me too believe you were implying my install was unsafe.
I forgive you.... j/k. Have a good weekend. :)

A lot of valuable Info here http://www.meyermfg.com/domesticcoil-install.pdf This is the Domestic water heater that Meyer Mfg. sells for the Woodchuck furnaces. Shows 3 different options for a safe and effective install. I've been considering giving one of these a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.