Hotter burn temp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

srp583

Hearth Supporter
Dec 28, 2007
Southern NH
Help!....I just bought a new home with a wood stove in the living room. The stove is an Englander, I think the model is 50-SFP12. So here's the problem, I can't seem to get the stove to burn very hot (300-350 max). My chimney is approx. 10 feet and pretty much a straight shot. Any suggestions?

Uh...your entire chimney is 10ft tall??...is that a typo?. If not i'd say it's a combination of a lack of chimney length and green fuel. What type of chimney is it?, what kind of wood are you burning and how long has it been split and stacked?.

No typo.....from the top of my wood stove to the ceiling in about 6' and the chimney is about 4' above the roof equaling 10'.
The wood I'm burning has been stacked for 2 years.

The minimum flue height for this stove measured from floor to cap top is 15', so it may be drafting poorly, especially if this is an exterior chimney. Even if the wood has been stacked, it may not be dry if it was poorly stacked, or fully covered, or stacked in a damp, windless location. You might try to borrow or buy some known good dry wood just for a test.

Also, where are you measuring the temp and are you fairly sure that the thermometer is reasonably close to accurate?

The temperature of that stove should be a bit higher during operation. Are you operating with the flue damper open? Feel free to call me in the development lab so we discuss your set up and see if there is another problem, although chances are it sounds like the chimney is the culprit.

800-516-3636

(I will PM you my extension)

Status
Not open for further replies.