House came with unused hearth - looking for input

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

UpstateNYnewbie

Jan 1, 2019
Albany NY
Hello everyone, we recently bought a 2 year old home that came with a hearth which has never been used. The house is a ~1500 sq ft ranch with a basement below. I've attached a picture of the house layout and the hearth itself. The top surface of the hearth is 9" off the floor.

Any issues with stove placement relative to the house layout? I know that the high ceilings trap heat. We at least have a big ceiling fan in the room. I also know a basement stove would make more sense, but i've already got this hearth (almost?) ready to go. I did consider putting the stove directly below this hearth, but there's plumbing under there unfortunately.

Assuming I go ahead with the first floor placement, anyone see any issues with the hearth itself? I do know that even a tight clearance stove like the lopi endeavor would require another inch minimum on the front. I was under the assumption something like the endeavor was the right size for this house, but I could look at smaller stoves too. Would it make sense to tile the floor around the existing hearth to get more protection? Any other ideas? I know even with an additional 1" in the front I would be tight for room for tools.

Thanks for the help.

House came with unused hearth - looking for input House came with unused hearth - looking for input

Last edited by a moderator:
Should be ok for a medium sized stove that needs ember-protection only hearth and has a small rear clearance requirement. The Endeavor could be a good choice with a double-wall stove pipe. What is the hearth dimension?

The central location is excellent, though the master br is less likely to benefit. Running the ceiling fan will be a necessity.

Is the top stone mortared in place or could it be moved forward an inch or two? If it can be moved then a filler could be put in behind it. Otherwise, with the raised hearth I wouldn't worry too much about 1", but if you want to be skookum then a tile or even a metal border would suffice. You could use a 4" strip of brass or copper to be more decorative.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dug8498