House fire & improper ash disposal...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shari

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 31, 2008
Wisconsin
Headline: "Ashes from pellet stove start overnight fire..."

"The homeowner had cleaned out her pellet stove and placed the ashes, which she believed were extinguished, into a garbage can in the garage."

More: http://www.jsonline.com/news/waukesha/112928819.html

Shari said:
Headline: "Ashes from pellet stove start overnight fire..."

"The homeowner had cleaned out her pellet stove and placed the ashes, which she believed were extinguished, into a garbage can in the garage."

More: http://www.jsonline.com/news/waukesha/112928819.html

You can't stop stupid. You can only hope to contain it.

Reminds me of when my new bride and I were visiting SoCal in '79 during the second oil crisis.

Somebodys' house blew up and burned down when the garbage bags full of gasoline in the closet ignited.

.. even though he double bagged.

I've said it before and I'll say it again . . . I don't have the hard facts in front of me . . . but I've seen more bad fires started from the improper disposal of ashes than almost any other cause related to burning wood.

gerry100 said:
Reminds me of when my new bride and I were visiting SoCal in '79 during the second oil crisis.

Somebodys' house blew up and burned down when the garbage bags full of gasoline in the closet ignited.

Holy wow.

gerry100 said:

Why garbage bags?

You would think that at some point it would be required from either a building code or insurance regulation to have a sealed metal ash bucket to dispose of the ashes. Then again you can lead the horse to water but can't make them drink.

I don't think a new building code is needed, but rather more education on the matter. We heated with wood when I was growing up and lesson 1 (ok, maybe 2) was to properly dispose the ashes in a metal bucket or ash can. Seems to me it is just like owning firearms- always assume it is loaded and always assume there are hot coals in the ash.

Status
Not open for further replies.