Houseflys in wood insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sons924

Burning Hunk
Mar 7, 2013
Can anyone tell me why there are many Houseflys inside of my wood insert? I closed the air when I noticed it but I don't know why they are there. Any ideas? Or solutions? Thank you

What kind of insert??? How's the set up?

They may have been born in there. Female will lay 100+ eggs at a time. How long since you last burned in it?

This winter. It was just installed in 2013. Maybe a fly laid eggs. Thanks for the responses.

Solution: build a fire in that sucker.

Reactions: bluedogz
Few balls of newspaper is probably more than sufficient to smoke them out

Maybe someone lost their salami when assembling the stove.

Reactions: gyrfalcon
Did you clean your flue since burning last winter. It is dangerous to burn newspaper in a woodstove if you have any creosote built up in your flue since the burning paper will float up the flue and can start a chimney fire in a dirty flue pipe. I'd take a look down my chimney before I built a newspaper fire, particularly if I hadn't burned in a few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.