How Are Stoves Like This Still Being Sold in the US?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BCC_Burner

Feeling the Heat
Sep 10, 2013
Uptown Marble, CO
I was under the impression that dealers could not sell or install new stoves that are not compliant with the 2020 Emissions standards. How is a dealer in my area still selling these stoves? What am I missing?

Quote from the catalog

"All models utilize a highly efficient firebox and oper-ate on an optimal burn rate system that produces both minimal emissions and a visually striking fire. EPA certified and approved to UL/ULC standards. "

I honestly love these ultra modern stoves. They would look goofy in my house but I could see them being great for a small modern cabin in the woods in a place that doesnt get super cold.

Yes, EPA certified back in 2015. They DO NOT comply with the 2020 standards, and are not listed on the EPA database.

How is a major dealer/installer still selling and installing these as new stoves?

Yeah, is there some kind of loophole they're using to continue to install these things?

Something wrong there and in the first picture where is the stove pipe--should not that be outside in a fire pit or something--crazy..even I know it crazy--lol clancey

Something wrong there and in the first picture where is the stove pipe--should not that be outside in a fire pit or something--crazy..even I know it crazy--lol clancey
That’s one of the new stackless WiFi stoves.
It’s actually a rear vent with the pipe out the back. Just can’t see it in the picture.

That’s one of the new stackless WiFi stoves.
Only issue is getting a high temp router...real bugger to get your hands on these days! ;) ;lol

It sure seems to be that a stove should not be sold in the US if it is not on the EPA list of 2020 approved stoves. If it isn't in the database, I'm not letting it be installed.

I don't see the point in setting strict emissions standards, then not holding manufacturers and retailers to them. I also fail to see how the Wittus in question qualifies based on the documentation they provide. 3.9 g/hr emissions is abysmal, stoves were doing better than that before the first round of EPA regs in ~1992.

It's preposterous that any stoves are "exempt" from these standards.

Give them a call. According to their literature, the Shaker stove is Cert. Phase 2, #60-16 exp. 12/1/21

The onus to prove that the stove complies lies with the installer or homeowner. Hope they can, or that they have a different stove in mind that they're willing to replace the Wittus with.

Reactions: John Ackerly
It sure seems to be that a stove should not be sold in the US if it is not on the EPA list of 2020 approved stoves. If it isn't in the database, I'm not letting it be installed.

I don't see the point in setting strict emissions standards, then not holding manufacturers and retailers to them. I also fail to see how the Wittus in question qualifies based on the documentation they provide. 3.9 g/hr emissions is abysmal, stoves were doing better than that before the first round of EPA regs in ~1992.

It's preposterous that any stoves are "exempt" from these standards.

The onus to prove that the stove complies lies with the installer or homeowner. Hope they can, or that they have a different stove in mind that they're willing to replace the Wittus with.
Are you buying a Wittus?

Reactions: JimBear
I understand the rules are the rules, however I see this as a niche artsy light duty ambiance stove that would get used a couple times a year.

Show me an un certified Serious heater that will be sold to the masses and I see your point more clearly

Reactions: JimBear
Wittus stoves in general have been good clean burners. Some of their designs are novel and pricey, but in general, they have not been slouches in the clean-burning realm. However, they are small and I can see how getting a position in the testing queue and handling the costs can be an issue.

"All models utilize a highly efficient firebox and operate on an optimal burn rate system that produces both minimal emissions and a visually striking fire."

If that isn't enough to strike fear into your heart, you may be part of the target demographic for that piece of ad copy. ;lol

(Translation: "We skipped all the hard parts of stove design by making every single model a fixed burn rate unit. It's a step up from a burn barrel, though, in that there is a pipe to take smoke out of the house. So buy one today!)

• Haha
Reactions: brenndatomu