How Are You Lighting Cat Fireplace/stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Pologuy9906

Aug 19, 2013
Connecticut
Hi. I'm using a Fireplace Xtrordinair large flush. It has a cat. I usually start with small pieces from splitting. I through a few smaller splits on that. I then put a few pieces on around 500°. This is all with the chimney half opened and the air pin pushed in for max air. Once the fan is on I open the chimney wait for a few minutes I load it up, let it run for another 10 to 15 minutes. Close the chimney, pull the air pin out for low and slow.

I know people have tricks and tips. Loved to hear them.

I use the top down method to start when doing a cold start. I add 4 larger splits on the bottom N/S. 5 medium splits E/W, then 8-10 smaller splits N/S . Then start a little fire on top with some bark and a couple 1" fire starters. Once the bark is going the door is closed. Now it just a matter of closing bypass when the cat is active and closing the air down as you wish. 3-4 hour before I need to open the door again.

Reactions: Shrewboy and EbS-P
This is not a Cat stove but the Top Down method is the same. You may want to change the logs/splits to run front to back vs across the stove (side to side) shown here.

This would be a North South load or front to back set up.

I use the top down method to start when doing a cold start. I add 4 larger splits on the bottom N/S. 5 medium splits E/W, then 8-10 smaller splits N/S . Then start a little fire on top with some bark and a couple 1" fire starters. Once the bark is going the door is closed. Now it just a matter of closing bypass when the cat is active and closing the air down as you wish. 3-4 hour before I need to open the door again.
I never heard of the N/S method. When do you close bypass?

I usually close when the temp on my thermo reaches a certain temp. It's been unreliable lately

This is not a Cat stove but the Top Down method is the same. You may want to change the logs/splits to run front to back vs across the stove (side to side) shown here.

This would be a North South load or front to back set up.

Nice.

I use the top down method, and pack it quite full. It’s very simple and reliable.
I light the tinder on top and can shut the door almost immediately. Within 5 minutes, the fire will be burning well. At about 20 minutes or so it’s usually hot enough to engage the cat. On a cold start I let it burn with the flue open all the way for about 30 minutes or until the stove temp is at the very top of optimal, and then I close the damper for a medium burn.
Since I switched to top down burns, I almost never have visible smoke coming out my chimney.

I would suggest that reading your owner manual is the best tips you can get on a particular stove

I would suggest that reading your owner manual is the best tips you can get on a particular stove
Lol. Did that before getting it. I don't have any issues getting mine started and maintained. It's nice seeing how other people approach theirs. Maybe I find a great nugget. The manual doesn't say stack in a N/S fashion. Unfortunately my wood is cut to fit E/W. I'll split some to try it out. My top down was not as packed as others. Now I pack it a little more. Much more experienced Woodies here so why not ask questions, lol. 🤷🏾‍♂️ Any tricks to get better efficiency, I'm all for it.

If your stove is designed so that splits laying East West allows for longest pieces, than that's what i'de focus on. But sure try a North South load, why not i did in my East West designed stove and they both work well. The biggest key for my stove is making sure there is good airflow and gaps between splits, including raising the bottom level of big splits just a bit off the floor for air to get underneath and up thru the middle and back of the load.

Reactions: buc74
If your stove is designed so that splits laying East West allows for longest pieces, than that's what i'de focus on. But sure try a North South load, why not i did in my East West designed stove and they both work well. The biggest key for my stove is making sure there is good airflow and gaps between splits, including raising the bottom level of big splits just a bit off the floor for air to get underneath and up thru the middle and back of the load.
I usually add the mediums, bigs and then smalls on my top down. I get a good 8 hours. Perfect wood closer to 10. I like 72°. On the tail end the output falls off. Good bed of coals though.