How best to cap a wood insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tchescat2000

Sep 11, 2017
AMERICA
I have a wood insert with a flex liner going up and out the chimney. We are getting a downdraft coming down around the flex liner into the room, from around the insert. There is a rain cap at the top of the chimney, but it doesn't seal around the flex liner. Is that suppose to be air tight so that air can't go down around the flex liner? I don't want to cause CO to get into the room by sealing the chimney, around the flex liner, but I don't know how else to solve this issue.

I have a wood insert with a flex liner going up and out the chimney. We are getting a downdraft coming down around the flex liner into the room, from around the insert. There is a rain cap at the top of the chimney, but it doesn't seal around the flex liner. Is that suppose to be air tight so that air can't go down around the flex liner? I don't want to cause CO to get into the room by sealing the chimney, around the flex liner, but I don't know how else to solve this issue.
It should be sealed top and bottom

Is there a top cap supporting the liner?

Wanted to revive this thread to see if using silicone between the liner and top is needed, as shown in the above video.