How better is it to burn corn with pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mike141

Hearth Supporter
Nov 6, 2006
New here, Have an Avalon Astoria Pellet stove and wondering if I should purchase the new burn pot offered to burn corn with pellets. What are the benefits? What does corn cost? Thanks

mike141 said:
New here, Have an Avalon Astoria Pellet stove and wondering if I should purchase the new burn pot offered to burn corn with pellets. What are the benefits? What does corn cost? Thanks
Whats your location Mike.

If I were you, I would find some users of the pot and ask them how it works. If it works well and is not too expensive, you should go for it - not only for now, but for the future!

I am in western MA, and we have one farm in the area selling "fuel corn" for as little as $130 a ton - and it has the same heat value (dry weight) as pellets....see below for more accurate info) I also would assume that moisture does not affect it as much, as it already has 15%, whereas pellets are dried to 6% and would therefore soak up the atmosphere easier.

In my stove, a baby countryside, the corn burns great. I actually like it better than the pellets - probably because I am a bit sick of wood smell (after 30+ years of stoves)....so the corn is a novelty. There are often less fines in clean corn - so less dust.

Corn will not usually auto-ignite in a stove with electric igniter.
Corn and other biofuels will also help the cost of pellets stay lower because they provide an alternative.

Moisture content...

I thought that whatever moisture was in fuel took energy to burn off or vaporize, thus sending that heat energy up the stack?

It this correct?

Inquiring minds...

Garett

G-rott said:
Moisture content...

I thought that whatever moisture was in fuel took energy to burn off or vaporize, thus sending that heat energy up the stack?

It this correct?

Inquiring minds...

Garett

Yes, you are correct. However, there are differences in the density of the fuels and also the chemical composition. So while firewood burns great at 20%, pellets need to be very low and corn somewhere in the middle.

So the actual BTU after moisture in the corn is actually less than with pellets - probably 10-20% less.

Here are some good stats:
http://energy.cas.psu.edu/energyselector/cornpellet.html

Status
Not open for further replies.